Board index Equipment Photo Editing Software Lacklustre images when saving for web - help!!

Photo Editing Software

Lacklustre images when saving for web - help!!

captain_superlekker

Lacklustre images when saving for web - help!!

Post Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:07 pm

I shoot and edit in sRGB using a Nikon D80/S5Pro and Elements. I've noticved that when editing, the pictures appear quite nice, good colours, bright, but when I publish the images on the web either using the "SAve for Web" function in Elements or save to a file, then upload, images look really lacklustre and dull. I have set colour space to Adobe RGB (even worse), reset everything to sRGB, regularly calibrate the monitor but the pictures still look a bit rubbish. Help, please.

dougj

Re: Lacklustre images when saving for web - help!!

Post Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:08 pm

Photos that are in the Adobe RGB color space will appear somewhat dull when viewed with applications that are either not color managed or that can’t read the color space and default to sRGB. Is it possible there is something in the workflow that is not converting the photos to sRGB? I don’t know about Elements, but CS5 has the default option to convert to sRGB when doing a Save for Web.

Save for Web removes all of the EXIF information, so the color space detail is no longer present. You could try doing a normal save and then read the EXIF information to check the color space to ensure it’s sRGB. Hope it helps.

captain_superlekker

Post Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:26 pm

Thanks Dougie, but this is what I am doing at the moment - even shoot in sRGB for the time being... even when I don't save for web it looks somewhat pale on screen. The only other reason might be that I haven't set the gamma on my screen right? I'll keep persevering, and when I find a solution, I shall post it here!

dougj

Post Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:43 pm

I use an Eye-one to calibrate the monitor, the calibration includes setting the gamma, once adjusted it shouldn't need to be changed for routine use. Assuming you are using sRGB throughout your workflow, if the colors look correct when you are editing them in Elements, but do not the same after they are saved and viewed with a different program, the issue might be the calibrated monitor profile. If your editing program is using the monitor profile, but the OS does not load it into the Look Up Table (LUT) in the graphics card, the profile may not be used by other programs. Then there may be a difference depending on the difference between the default and calibrated values. What happens when you open an edited & saved photo in Elements, how does it look?

Board index Equipment Photo Editing Software Lacklustre images when saving for web - help!!