Board index Equipment Photo Editing Software Inconsistent conversion from Canon DPP to photoshop cs

Photo Editing Software

Inconsistent conversion from Canon DPP to photoshop cs

dougssportsphotos

Inconsistent conversion from Canon DPP to photoshop cs

Post Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:20 am

How come when I adjust a photo in Canon DPP and convert and save and then open in Photoshop CS they don't look the same. Example provided.

http://www.pbase.com/dougssportsphotos/image/120938929

dougj

Re: Inconsistent conversion from Canon DPP to photoshop cs

Post Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:51 am

A couple of observations:

1. It looks like some sharpening is being applied in DPP, the subjects are sharper but it also brings out the noise. EDIT: these are user settings in the DPP tool pallet, select this with the "view" pull down menu.
2. The tone differences might be attributed to the camera profile in ACR. I say this as I've found DPP to provide the most accurate color conversions with my 1D3.
3. A question - are you saving the converted file in 8 bit & then opening in PS?

I had a lot of difficulty at the end of 2008 with color fidelity with ACR (PS CS4). There were several threads discussing this in the Adobe camera RAW forum. An Adobe engineer commented that they added a non-linear conversion table, or twist, that improved some areas but shifted some red & yellow tones depending on the levels. A couple of things to try are to use the latest ACR if you're not already, and try a different camera profile. A couple of examples in 8 bit I did with different camera profiles, the shift in uniform color is very obvious, but it also affects the skin tones, etc. The camera standard beta profile is closer to what it should be, but it's still off.

I used the ACR beta version from Adobe Labs that had some standard and pre-release beta camera profiles
ACR 4.6, standard camera profile

ACR 4.6, standard camera beta profile

This later led to a comparison between updated & released ACR (5.3) and DPP. The ACR was closer but still wrong with the yellow, further, the non-linear "twist" in ACR, as Adobe called it, meant that if the recovery slider was used, the amount of tone reduction was not uniform across R, G & B and introduced a color shift. That's when I created my own camera profile, which I still use sometimes. I prefer the workflow in ACR/PS, but DPP I think still does a better job with colors.

ACR 5.3, camera faithful - closest I got to what I consider accurate:

DPP 3.51

A long-winded post, the short version is to try different camera profiles if you want to use ACR, and watch the slider affects. The current version of ACR looks better IMO, I hope this helps.

dougssportsphotos

Post Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:06 am

dougj wrote:A couple of observations:

1. It looks like some sharpening is being applied in DPP, the subjects are sharper but it also brings out the noise. EDIT: these are user settings in the DPP tool pallet, select this with the "view" pull down menu.
2. The tone differences might be attributed to the camera profile in ACR. I say this as I've found DPP to provide the most accurate color conversions with my 1D3.
3. A question - are you saving the converted file in 8 bit & then opening in PS?

I had a lot of difficulty at the end of 2008 with color fidelity with ACR (PS CS4). There were several threads discussing this in the Adobe camera RAW forum. An Adobe engineer commented that they added a non-linear conversion table, or twist, that improved some areas but shifted some red & yellow tones depending on the levels. A couple of things to try are to use the latest ACR if you're not already, and try a different camera profile. A couple of examples in 8 bit I did with different camera profiles, the shift in uniform color is very obvious, but it also affects the skin tones, etc. The camera standard beta profile is closer to what it should be, but it's still off.

I used the ACR beta version from Adobe Labs that had some standard and pre-release beta camera profiles
ACR 4.6, standard camera profile

ACR 4.6, standard camera beta profile

This later led to a comparison between updated & released ACR (5.3) and DPP. The ACR was closer but still wrong with the yellow, further, the non-linear "twist" in ACR, as Adobe called it, meant that if the recovery slider was used, the amount of tone reduction was not uniform across R, G & B and introduced a color shift. That's when I created my own camera profile, which I still use sometimes. I prefer the workflow in ACR/PS, but DPP I think still does a better job with colors.

ACR 5.3, camera faithful - closest I got to what I consider accurate:

DPP 3.51

A long-winded post, the short version is to try different camera profiles if you want to use ACR, and watch the slider affects. The current version of ACR looks better IMO, I hope this helps.

Thank you Doug. I will need to look into this.

nikko2

Post Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:08 am

You should read about Color Management, profiles, etc and this would be one of the best places to read about it: http://regex.info/blog/photo-tech/color-spaces-page1

Board index Equipment Photo Editing Software Inconsistent conversion from Canon DPP to photoshop cs