Board index Equipment Photo Editing Software Changing resolution in photoshop - Please help!

Photo Editing Software

Changing resolution in photoshop - Please help!

silver2000

Changing resolution in photoshop - Please help!

Post Sun May 16, 2004 5:36 pm

I just got a new digital camera and realized all the pictures are downloaded at 72 dpi. I read another article saying that, with digital cameras, the dpi don't mean anything and the important thing is the number of pixels.

Well, what I want to do is print pictures that are 4x6 with a resolution of 300 dpi.

What is the best way to do this in Photoshop?. Do I change the resolution of the image from 72 dpi to 300 dpi? Then, do I change the size of the picture to 4x6? If I enter a height of 4 inches I get a width of 5.3 and if I enter a width of 6 I get a height of 4.5 inches. Neither beeing the standard 4 x 6 size. And the final pixel dimensions are considerable lower than the original image. So I'm all confused. Can somebody help me?

Thank you! :(

castledude

Post Mon May 17, 2004 5:37 am

Some cameras have a 3:2 ratio setting which will give you exactly 4x6 ratio pictures otherwise you will have to either crop the picture (throw away part of the image) or allow a border around the picture to make up for the difference in ratio.

The problem is that photo sizes all come in their own ratios, the typical numbers are: 4x6, 5x7, 8x10. No one size is going to fit in all of these so you have to take the best part of each picture and center it up. 35mm film has a native 3:2 ratio but you have to make the same decisions (crop or border) when you go to 5x7 and 8x10 prints.

In Photoshop Create a 4.5x6 inch picture then create a selection 4x6 move it around to the best part of the picture then crop it.

ilanphoto

Post Mon May 17, 2004 8:38 am

about DPI for a 4x6 at 300DPI you need 1200x1800 pixels so if you have at least that out of your camera you have no problem
If you want to print from home you will have to change the DPI in Photoshop otherwise it will be done automaticlly for you at the shop where you print

wwebbjr

Post Fri May 21, 2004 11:55 pm

PXL SmartScale by intellihance is a plug-in available for Pshop that can increase the size 15x and larger without any de-gradiation of contrast/resolution. From within the plug-in you can also select any combination of physical size, dpi, or lpi.

Board index Equipment Photo Editing Software Changing resolution in photoshop - Please help!