Board index Equipment Photo Editing Software HELP - Cannot transfer photo files from SD card to computer!

Photo Editing Software

HELP - Cannot transfer photo files from SD card to computer!

trut_maluglist

HELP - Cannot transfer photo files from SD card to computer!

Post Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:37 am

Hi,
I'm having problems transferring photo files from my SD memory cards to my external hard drive. I'm using XP Pro. When attempting the drag & drop, I get the following error message:

Cannot copy DSC_9586: Access is denied.

Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use

The problem is very intermittent. Sometimes I can get it to work by disconnecting & reconnecting the external HD or SD card reader. Sometimes I can get it to work by using my D80 as the card reader in lieu of the SD card reader. Sometimes I can get it to work by clearing out some hard drive space on my laptop. But most importantly, none of these methods works all the time. It seems like a crap shoot. On some occasions, I've done some of the above a good 6 to 8 times before I can get the transfer to work. It's something that should be 100% reliable and has been in the past, but now it's just not working on a consistent basis. On one occasion it wouldn't transfer and all I did was wait about 10 minutes and then it would transfer.

I know I could circumvent this by placing the files in zip folders, transferring the zip folder and then unzipping it. But that is both extremely tedious and it's precisely the inconvenient thing Microsoft wants me to have to deal with so I'll upgrade my OS!

Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks.

lynnh

Re: HELP - Cannot transfer photo files from SD card to computer!

Post Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:49 pm

Your SD card has a little notch on one side. There is a little slider (for lack of a better word) that is moveable. Move that little thing and you should be able to access your pics. Be careful so that you don't break it.
The idea (a stupid one) was that you can protect your information but closing and opening that lock, much like the old diskettes had a punchout to keep the contents from being moved.

I hope this helps! Let me know.
All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost ~ J. R. R. Tolkien

Board index Equipment Photo Editing Software HELP - Cannot transfer photo files from SD card to computer!