Board index Equipment Photo Editing Software Photoshop CS4 plug-in problems

Photo Editing Software

Photoshop CS4 plug-in problems

heffa

Photoshop CS4 plug-in problems

Post Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:34 pm

I recently upgraded to Photoshop CS4 and notice that the plug-ins I've purchased are no longer appearing as available. Most significantly is the OnOne plugin suite.

I am not on using 64-bit Photoshop.

Does anyone know what the trick is here?

Thanks!

aideen

Re: Photoshop CS4 plug-in problems

Post Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:02 pm

I tried to install some of the plug-ins I had on CS2 but had problems with CS4 and when I removed them it now works fine.

Aideen

kirwinj

Post Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:36 pm

When I upgraded to CS4 I had a Nik Sharpening plugin that wouldn't work. Called Nik and all I got was tough luck, not compatable with CS4 and offered a 20% discount on their new version. A bit of pain but I jump back and forth between CS3 and CS4...the effect once completed will come up in CS4.

sthuman

Post Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:45 am

wienerman wrote:I recently upgraded to Photoshop CS4 and notice that the plug-ins I've purchased are no longer appearing as available. Most significantly is the OnOne plugin suite.

I am not on using 64-bit Photoshop.

Does anyone know what the trick is here?

Thanks!

When the installer installed CS4, it created a whole new Plug-Ins folder inside the CS4 folder. But it left your CS3 program and folders right where they were. So to get the plug=ins to work in CS4 you have two options. The better option is to open the CS3 folder, find the Plug-ins folder and copy all the old plug-ins to the CS4 Plug-ins folder. Be sure to copy rather than move them if you still want CS3 to be able to use them. What I suggest is open each plug-in folder side by side so you can compare. Then only copy the ones from the CS3 folder that aren't already in the CS4 folder.

Another option, though not one I consider too good, is open CS4, go to Preferences and under the Plug-ins section is a checkbox where you can choose an additional plug-ins folder. The reason I don't suggest that is you'll forget you did it and sometime down the road you'll decide you don't want CS3 any longer and trash it, along with those plug-ins.

The Additional Plug-ins folder does have a good benefit to it if you want to do it. If you store all your plug-ins in a folder separate from Photoshop somewhere and choose that folder as an additional plug-ins folder, when you do future upgrades to CS5 or 6 or whatever, and turn on the additional plug-ins folder you'll never have to move things around again.

halesr

Post Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:36 pm

I have successfully used the last suggestion. I keep my plug-ins in a folder and point to them from CS whatever. Also back this folder up in case of any problems. HTH--Rene

Board index Equipment Photo Editing Software Photoshop CS4 plug-in problems