Board index Equipment Photo Editing Software Freeware photo software

Photo Editing Software

Freeware photo software

romeroom

Freeware photo software

Post Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:50 am

This is my first post. I'm very new to digital photography.

Can anyone recommend an easy to use, from camera to PC, software (free) for viewing pictures? (I lost the disc my camera came with which had software.)

I'd like to be able to plug my camera in to the computer via cable and USB port, and have the software load the images into the computer and immediately bring me to the pictures for me to view. I've tried Picassa and it's always a mystery as to where my pictures ended up after it decides to scan everything every time. Hate it.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

rileypm

Re: Freeware photo software

Post Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:07 am

Try cnet.com and click downloads and search for free photo software.

dougj

Post Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:24 am

Depending on your camera, your PC operating system has file manager or windows explorer and can probably download the photos. Windows has a default image viewer that you can use. FastStone has a very nice (free) image viewer I use as my default viewer.

jan7

Post Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:03 pm

romeroom wrote:This is my first post. I'm very new to digital photography.

Can anyone recommend an easy to use, from camera to PC, software (free) for viewing pictures? (I lost the disc my camera came with which had software.)

I'd like to be able to plug my camera in to the computer via cable and USB port, and have the software load the images into the computer and immediately bring me to the pictures for me to view. I've tried Picassa and it's always a mystery as to where my pictures ended up after it decides to scan everything every time. Hate it.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

This is my first post, also..... :wink:

I use habitually Photoscape Its very basic, but have more features very interesting for post photos in Forums (as resize, crop, and focusing). One question very interesting is the upload of the images at servers as Iageshack, Photobucket o Servimg, for eixample.

Jan.

prinothcat

Post Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:02 pm

jan7 wrote:One question very interesting is the upload of the images at servers as Iageshack, Photobucket o Servimg, for eixample.
Jan.

Hi Jan,
From the sentence above I'm guessing you're probably more comfortable in your native language, yes? No worries. :D If I read it correctly you're looking for a way to upload to one of these services? Since you're posting to the Pbase forums, may I suggest you look into using the Pbase system to host your photos? Each hosting site has it's own method of doing things, and you will need to go to each one to see how it works. The Pbase system while not entirely perfect is fairly easy to use. You create an account (free or paid depending on your needs), create an online gallery and follow the directions to upload. Nice feature is that Pbase will take a .zip, a .tar or other compressed archive of photos and upload them, then decompress them into the appropriate location. Pbase will also create three sizes of each image for you after which you can remove or compress the original to save disk space.

Best of luck, Chris

madlights

Post Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:09 pm

I use Faststone also...you can even convert RAW files for most cameras with it (although not many editing functions), and it does a good job. I use it for my Photo viewing..has a great slide show function too. Picassa has some nice features, but I agree, the way it scans all the pics all the time is awful...and maybe somebody knows how to turn that off, but I don't :roll: Have fun with digital.
http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDownload.htm
it's free

chillywinds

Post Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:10 am

Hi Romeroom.
I agree - Faststone is very good. XnView is another similar program well worth downloading. Both are free. But I'm not sure if either of them will assist in downloading the pictures automatically to your PC and then opening up the folder that they were downloaded into. Without the camera's software you may need to know a bit about folders and how to create and copy them. Perhaps you do.

jimbrem

Post Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:13 pm

Give Picasa3 a try. I'm sure you will like it. Download it at no charge from Google. It's a hard to beat program.

soulfulimpressions

Post Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:28 pm

PICASA

tiffanyjeanne

Post Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:01 am

Has anyone here tried PhotoFiltre? I have used that one mostly because it was free to download and I have been impressed. It has basic cropping and resizing (by batch too), gamma, contrast, levels, plus a lot of filters to create sepia, greyscale and more. Only thing is the version I have doesn't have red-eye reduction. :D

photofiend

Post Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:39 am

I like photoscape. It does everything you'd like in a program including converting raw files...

snapshooter87

Post Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:14 pm

Photofiltre is arguably the fastest, most user friendly editor available, and the Free version has everything you need but Layers and .8bf filter/plug-in compatibility. Those you can get with the commercial version.

As for loading your pictures to computer.. pick up a Card Reader for your camera card (or a San Disk multi card reader for a few dollars more) You just leave it plugged into a USB port and slide your card in the slot.
The directions are easy to follow and you don't have to worry about a low camera battery losing your pictures.
You don't have to install any software if you're using XP or later, but the software that comes with the Readers usually have Recovery Software included that can be useful in recovering photo files that you have previously deleted from the card when Formatting it.

tiffanyjeanne

Post Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:27 pm

I think I have replaced my Photofiltre...I recently changed OS on my computer to Linux, and it came with GIMP...I LOVE IT!

parpho

Post Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:00 pm

I still find Picasa handy. Once I discovered how to alphabetize the files finding stuff was a snap. So just in case you have not discovered how to do that, at the top left hand corner there are a bunch of buttons the fifth one from the left gives the sorting options. Click on name and finding stuff becomes a breeze. I like Picasa for its straighting tool and its filtered B/W feature. Best of luck whichever way you go.

Next

Board index Equipment Photo Editing Software Freeware photo software