Board index Equipment Photo Editing Software Recommended Computer for Photo Editing & Graphics?

Photo Editing Software

Recommended Computer for Photo Editing & Graphics?

vincentvalle

Recommended Computer for Photo Editing & Graphics?

Post Mon Apr 19, 2004 11:36 am

As I learn photoshop more and work with it on my Dell, I am finding that it cannot handle what ps needs to do. Can anyone recommend a laptop that could handle this sort of thing? I have been reading about Mac and Apple so I am assuming that this is the way to go. I need something that is portable as well. Is there a good place to research this? I appreciate anyone's suggestions and personal experience.

Sincerely,

Vince Valle

ilanphoto

Post Mon Apr 19, 2004 2:15 pm

I asked a similar question some months back here are the answers I got.

http://forum.pbase.com/viewtopic.php?t=1438

Hope they help you
Ilan

ukexpat

Re: Recommended Computer for Photo Editing & Graphics?

Post Tue Apr 20, 2004 1:26 am

vincentvalle wrote:As I learn photoshop more and work with it on my Dell, I am finding that it cannot handle what ps needs to do. Can anyone recommend a laptop that could handle this sort of thing? I have been reading about Mac and Apple so I am assuming that this is the way to go. I need something that is portable as well. Is there a good place to research this? I appreciate anyone's suggestions and personal experience.

Sincerely,

Vince Valle

One thought -- don't skimp on RAM. If it's a choice between a slightly faster processor or more RAM, go for the RAM.

ianbmw

Post Tue May 04, 2004 7:00 pm

Powermac would be way to go..(i think thats the name of their G4 laptop) anyways like everyone else said dont skip on ram..although I wouldnt really suggest anymore than 1gb for a laptop but as long as you get 512mb you'll be fine. Also on a side not between mac and pc I had a toshiba 2.4 ghz 512ddr and it photoshop huge files like nothing but i couldnt stand it being so big and heavy and HOTT my lord that thing would burn your pants if you tried working with it in your lap. Personally if I was to get another laptop I would just get the 12-14in ibook....i like small and they have plenty of power for minor editing....if I want a monster rig ill set down on my 22" CRT P4 with 9x12 wacom know what I mean.

saratoga

Post Wed May 05, 2004 2:08 am

I use an ibook for all my editing in elements and a bit in photoshop. The RAM will handle it slowly....but i just beefed it up to 612 and it now blazes through them......if you want to do mainly photos and graphics work then go for a mac..you wont be dissapointed

joseju

G4 Laptop

Post Thu Jun 17, 2004 7:21 am

I am using a G3 Powerbook from back in 2000. I run fine with what I got (but it looks like I too am ready for a major upgrade). Personally I am looking at a G4 Powerbook, either the 15 or 17 Inch. I would go with these two over the 12inch because you get a bigger screen to work with plus you get a pci slot for you car reader. The 15 is ideal if you move around a lot. The 17inch is best if you are going to mostly work in one location but still would like to easily move your computer around. I would go ahead and get at least 512MB of RAM, but if you can afford it go for 1GB, you will notice a big performance booster. Hope I could have helped.

jim_panzee

Post Fri Jun 18, 2004 9:42 am

I would go with the rest on this, go for as much RAM as you can get. I have just upgraded my three year old Compaq PC from 256 to 512, and it makes a hell of a difference. I just wish I could get more but it won't handle It.

bobt54

Post Wed Jul 21, 2004 6:28 pm

One problem with any laptop is the LCD screens. They still don't measure up to a good CRT when it comes to image reproduction. I would recommend that you get a good CRT monitor to do your photo editing with. NEC/Mitsubishi make an SB line that is superb.

moxfactor

Post Tue Nov 16, 2004 8:10 pm

I would say go with a Mac laptop as well.

if you really need to go with Windows machines, I'm using a Samsung X10 (Centrino 1.4Mhz, 1024RAM, NVidia 440Go graphics card), and it can easily handle all my PS needs. It and the X10-Plus models are some of the best slim laptops you can get on the market. as well as being able to handle almost all games and other Windows products.

only problem is, battery life is practically non-existent. you'll need to buy the larger battery for this machine, and even then, you'll be lucky to get 2hrs out of it if you're running PS non-stop. However, if you're usually in hotel rooms or somewhere with an electrical outlet, nothing short of a Mac laptop can beat this featherweight monster.

joseju

G5

Post Sat Nov 20, 2004 11:00 pm

I would just get the top of the line G5 computer with a good CRT. Max it out on RAM if you got the cash.
-check out my pix

moxfactor

Re: G5

Post Sun Nov 21, 2004 5:25 am

joseju wrote:I would just get the top of the line G5 computer with a good CRT. Max it out on RAM if you got the cash.

the poster is asking about laptops. why don't you suggest an SGI, or maybe a Cray? ^_^"

*sigh*

as far as good non-Mac laptops, Samsung, Toshiba, Sony, all have very capable laptops that can install 1024MB+ RAM, which is your primary concern. Not to mention, most of these also have a competent graphics card. However, in terms of monitors, the sharpest LCDs I've seen are Toshiba, Samsung, and Sharp in that order. Sony screens are supposedly crappy seconds provided by Toshiba, so unless you want to stick with Memory Sticks and a damn heavy Vaio, try to steer clear of Sony laptops.

(however, if you already own a P-series SonyEricsson mobile, and other Sony products, I do suggest getting a Sony just for the sake of having everything working with each other.)

btw, if you are getting a laptop, then I'm guessing you travel with your laptop + camera + lens + accessories. My Samsung X10 weighs 1.8Kg total (3.9 pounds or something). For a 14" mon, it's about as light as the 12" compact Vaio's. Did I mention Wireless LAN?

Board index Equipment Photo Editing Software Recommended Computer for Photo Editing & Graphics?