Board index Equipment Photo Editing Software Effect of changing DPI

Photo Editing Software

Effect of changing DPI

tringhenge

Effect of changing DPI

Post Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:42 pm

When I save jpgs from CS3 they are 240DPI. If I change the image to 300DPI in the image resizing window, does this lessen the quality of the image? If yes, is there another way to change the DPI to 300 before saving the jpg?

dang

Re: Effect of changing DPI

Post Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:16 pm

tringhenge

Post Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:18 pm

Many thanks for the pointer.

ken_bat

Post Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:18 pm

Changing a file from 240dpi to 300dpi will not have any effect on image quality, but it will change the document (print output) size, reducing it by an amount equal to the percentage of dpi increase. To retain the original output size, you must resample the file — that is, up-size it. In Photoshop you can do this in the Image Size dialogue window. (Image>Image Size)

In this case, check off the Resample Image box only and change the resolution from 240 to 300. You'll notice that the Pixel Dimensions will increase as a result of the resampling — which means the overall file size will increase as well.. When up-sizing like this, make sure the Bicubic Smoother option is selected in the drop down menu.

This procedure will retain the original document/output size, but with a resolution increase from 240dpi to 300dpi.

I hope this answers your question.
Ken

tringhenge

Post Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:54 pm

Cheers for that Ken, appreciated.

Board index Equipment Photo Editing Software Effect of changing DPI