Board index Equipment Photo Editing Software HDR and Photomatix; Photoshop vs. Photoshop Elements

Photo Editing Software

HDR and Photomatix; Photoshop vs. Photoshop Elements

marchael

HDR and Photomatix; Photoshop vs. Photoshop Elements

Post Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:41 pm

Does anyone know if you can use Photomatix to create HDR images with Photoshop Elements as opposed to the full version of Photoshop? I have Photoshop Elements 6 but haven't come across anything mentioning Elements and Photomatix either way. So before I cough up the spinach for Photomatix I just thought I'd ask the kindly people in these forums. :D

Thanks very muchly in advance for your help.
Mark

djwixx

Post Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:55 am

No - I've tried and it required an HDR component that Elements (version 5.0) doesn't have.

marchael

Post Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:55 pm

Thanks Dave, I was afraid of that. I guess I'll just have to experiment and see what I can come up with that comes close.

niekirk

Post Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:11 am

Photomatix is stand-alone software. I use it and Elements. Typically I'll use Photomatix to merge, say, three RAW files into an HDR composite. Then, if I want to use tools from Elements, I just save it from Photomatix and open it in Elements.

I may have made that sound complicated, but it's not really.

eubanks01

Post Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:30 pm

So can you get a trial version of Photomatix or how much does it cost?

heffa

Post Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:52 pm

eubanks01 wrote:So can you get a trial version of Photomatix or how much does it cost?

You can download a trial version of Photomatix at no cost with no time limit -- it just watermarks the photos until you buy a license. The license is $99.

djwixx

Post Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:54 pm

niekirk wrote:Photomatix is stand-alone software. I use it and Elements. Typically I'll use Photomatix to merge, say, three RAW files into an HDR composite. Then, if I want to use tools from Elements, I just save it from Photomatix and open it in Elements.

I may have made that sound complicated, but it's not really.

I couldn't get it to merge and save in the standalone so I gave up.

marchael

Post Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:00 am

If you go to this site for an HDR tutorial there's a discount link that could save you a few bucks, but I would give the trial version a try first.

http://stuckincustoms.com/2006/06/06/548/

blue_begemoth

Post Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:12 am

What does it say when you are trying to save the merged file? I'm using a trial now, it saves all right through file > save as. You can save as .hdr, exr., and .tiff. I'm not sure though that Elements can tonemap hdr images.

uplander

Post Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:47 pm

I've been playing with the Photomatix for a bit now but I'm not sure I will buy it yet I'm going to try this first http://www.mediachance.com/hdri/index.html
and see how I like it.

The Photomatix I have just used it as a stand alone and merged and tone mapped with their tools. It's esasy enough to use but I haven't reall had a chance to shoot some good subject matter to give a good chance.

BTW merging three shots will really show you how dirty your sensor really is :lol:
see below
Brian
Canon 10D , Canon 40D, Tamron AF 18-200 f/3.5-6.3 XR LD, Canon 70-300 f/ 4-5.6 IS USM, Canon 100 - 400 f/ 4.5 - 5.6 L IS USM, anon Ef 70-200 f/2.8 IS USM, Canon EF 400 f/2.8 IS USM, Kenko 1.4 x Pro 300 DG TC

marxz

Post Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:14 am

Given Elements can only support 8 bit files (or at least version 4 for mac that's on my laptop does) HRD would be somewhat difficult (in fact probably impossible for the plugin - as initially it creates a 16 bit or 32 bit merged file), but once you've used Photomatics to create the HRD and do all the tone mapping and saved them as an 8 bit TIFF or other lossless format then elements should be fine for post merge, post tone-mapping editing.
there is no .sig

fordguy

Re: HDR and Photomatix; Photoshop vs. Photoshop Elements

Post Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:34 pm

Cough up the spinach.. I like that one!!! The only way I have used Photomatrix is standalone. I create the HDR and then open the file I saved in CS2 ( same thing would work for elements...) I then do the adjustments I want to colour, sharpness etc - Oh and get rid of the sensor dust that it shows as mentioned above!!

Its two steps, but I havent heard of any other way to use them both. I have tried other HDR programs, but came back to Photomatrix and I liked the results the best.

dougj

Post Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:45 pm

A question about Photomatix - can you use one RAW file processed and saved with multiple exposure settings? This doesn't work with the HDR option in CS2, you need to use 2 or more ACR conversions and layer masks. This works, but it takes time and it would be nice to automate it.

fordguy

Post Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:46 pm

Thats exactly how I use it. I shoot one RAW and the save it as a .jpg 1 under exposed 1 over and the way it was shot. Then open them up with the Generate part of Photomatrix and let it do its thing. I havent had any luck shooting 3 different shots - so this way is foolproof!

dougj

Post Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:27 pm

Thanks Fordguy, it sounds like this is what I'm looking for, I'll give the demo a try.

Board index Equipment Photo Editing Software HDR and Photomatix; Photoshop vs. Photoshop Elements