Board index Equipment Photo Editing Software Muppet needs help with monitor calibration

Photo Editing Software

Muppet needs help with monitor calibration

tringhenge

Muppet needs help with monitor calibration

Post Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:27 pm

Ok, I know it's my own fault. I had to tinker, I should not. I have a Belinea 22W Artistline TFT.

I've used Adobe Gamma to 'calibrate' my monitor....well various articles said it was a good idea.

Problem is it seems more screwed up than calibrated. Whites too bright, but at the same time a feeling that things are 'washed out'! Does not compute I know.

What I would like to do is revert to my uncalibrated settings, but I can find no way to do that. As I said, I should have left well alone! Can anyone offer any suggestions how to revert to pre-muppetry please?

tringhenge

Post Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:45 pm

Hmmm, cancel that, think I fixed it. Recall resets to factory settings, which were very high brightness and contrast! Now just need to settle it back to where it was........which SheWhoMustBeObeyed will do as the fussy one ;)

tringhenge

Post Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:04 pm

Bah, screwed! Looking back at images from the last couple of weeks they are a wreck!

If anyone can help undo a 'calibration' I'd be very greatful.

andrys

Post Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:00 am

Did you readjust your monitor brightness and contrast controls ???

If nothing else, redo the calibration! Or use another piece of software to do it. Search
monitor calibration utility

or

monitor calibration utility free

:-)

rickl52

Post Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:20 pm

By far the best way to do it is with calibrating software and hardware, but on the cheap you can get pretty close by digesting this page:
http://www.normankoren.com/makingfineprints1A.html

Test files, procedures and a link to QuickGamma, a utility for adjusting the gamma by color channel. If you're a geek you'll love the page. If you're not, it will get you there.

edit: And take adobe gamma out of the startup menu. It's junk.

ilanphoto

Post Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:05 pm

In truth, in order to calibrate a monitor you need a piece of hardware as well. using software only is better then nothing but it is a guesstimate

The hardware are know about are eyeone or spyder, there might be others. They are not cheap but they flash colours on the screen and read the results and build a profile that corrects and displays each colour as it should be

HTH
Ilan

tringhenge

Post Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:41 pm

Thanks for the replies and advice. I'll be looking into some hardware device soon.

chezzy

Monitor calibration

Post Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:20 am

I use Spyder express 2.
Very good for the price.
Cheers. Al.

britenski

Post Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:52 pm

Yes I agree with that .Spider is not expensive and does a worthy job !

Good luck !

Board index Equipment Photo Editing Software Muppet needs help with monitor calibration