Board index Equipment Photo Editing Software Photoshop ELements 5 vs. CS

Photo Editing Software

Photoshop ELements 5 vs. CS

jkik2478

Photoshop ELements 5 vs. CS

Post Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:05 pm

Hi,

I just bought Photoshop Elements 5 and I saw a class being offered for Photoshop CS nearby. I'm thinking of registering for the class. Is there a big difference between 5.0 and CS? Will I still be able to use what I learn in the CS class or will I need to get CS?

Thanks

bobpeters

Re: Photoshop ELements 5 vs. CS

Post Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:28 pm

jkik2478 wrote:Hi,

I just bought Photoshop Elements 5 and I saw a class being offered for Photoshop CS nearby. I'm thinking of registering for the class. Is there a big difference between 5.0 and CS? Will I still be able to use what I learn in the CS class or will I need to get CS?

Thanks

Short answer: YES. PE 5 does not have some of the features of CS, but those features probably will not be used in a beginner class. I have used PE 2 and CS. I think that PE5 will provide more help but the basic operations are the same.

intermon

Post Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:59 am

I see PSE5.0 as a subset of CS(2/3).
The biggest difference I perceive is the 16-bit capability of CS vs PE.
I'm quite sure that a course in CS will be at least 75% applicable to using PE5.0, because the basic image manipulation and raw conversion processes will be very similar.
Roger

road_runner

Post Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:24 pm

Elements 3, 4, or 5 with certain plug-ins will do about 90% of what you need to do, Elements 5 adds an updated selection too which is also in Elements 4, better way of converting from color to Black and white and color curves correction. These are the three main upgrades plus the fact that it uploads faster.

CS-3 would be nice, but I can use the money better somewhere else. If you are a fashion sesigner, Pfofessional grafics designer or photojournalist getting paid big bucks (Six Figures or more). then CS-3 is the way to go. Otherwise I recommend Photoshop Elements 3, 4 or 5.

You can get some nice plug-ins that facillitate your work, and I am quite satisfied with Elements 3.

To learn all the power of Photoshop Elements, I recommend you visit (and join or subscribe) http://www.photoshopelementsuser.com as they have excellent tutorials. Tou can learn all about layers, Using Selection Tools, changing backgrounds, how to do workarounds to get same benefits a s Photoshop. Only thing I cannot do so far is write Photoshop Actions, but I can get Actions to run in my Photoshop 3. I'll have to make a post on that one!

Hope this helps!
Roadrunner

andrys

Re: Photoshop ELements 5 vs. CS

Post Sat Sep 01, 2007 12:57 am

jkik2478 wrote:Hi,

Thanks

If your class is in a city or community college, it may have a special
deal with Adobe. As a result of joining a class, I was able to get the
entire Adobe Premium Suite CS2 for $195 and since I bought it on
the day (but after) they announced CS3 was ready for sale, I was
also eligible for the full CS3, which I now have.

CS is so powerful, I'm still using CS ! But will be putting my
CS3 (or, to be safer with an older program, CS2) on the laptop.

As a student at almost any organized teaching place, you can get
the full Premium (Dreamweaver, Adobe Illustrater, In-Design,
Acrobat Reader CS3) for under $600, but if your community college
has a deal with Adobe for its students, then it's available these days
for about $300.

Lightroom, $199 usually, is available for students for $100.

Board index Equipment Photo Editing Software Photoshop ELements 5 vs. CS