Board index Equipment Photo Editing Software CR2 Corrupt problems

Photo Editing Software

CR2 Corrupt problems

sethlazar

CR2 Corrupt problems

Post Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:02 pm

Hiya,

I accidentally deleted some pictures, then used 'Restoration', a free bit of software, to recover them. Now they have the right file name, size etc., although no exif data, and I cannot open them either with Bridge, CS, or Digital photo professional. Does anyone have any ideas on how to recover these pictures?

Thanks,

Seth

gilp

Post Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:41 pm

worst case: look at the file sizes.....if they are smaller than usual, that means that you've last a bunch of relevant info (principaly the color info)

Best Case: look at your file extension..it may be as simple as renaming the file with .jpg or .cr2 or what ever your file extension shoud be

sethlazar

hi again

Post Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:47 pm

That's the strange thing: they appear to be completely full size, and the file extension is .CR2 as it should be. Any more ideas?

gilp

Re: hi again

Post Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:30 pm

sethlazar wrote:That's the strange thing: they appear to be completely full size, and the file extension is .CR2 as it should be. Any more ideas?

download IRFANVIEW, it's a "see everything" viewer (from jpg to autocad!), it can also see the hexadecimal info.... if irfanview can't see the image.... then you're f***ed

sethlazar

hmmm, looks like i'm fxxxed

Post Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:26 am

Yeah irfanview won't work, it says 'can't read file header'... oh well.

gilp

Re: hmmm, looks like i'm fxxxed

Post Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:18 pm

sethlazar wrote:Yeah irfanview won't work, it says 'can't read file header'... oh well.

That's what you needed to know... you lost the headers which means that there is no "map" to follow for rebuilding the image.

sethlazar

Post Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:23 pm

so i'm guessing that is an irretrievable problem?

gilp

Post Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:11 pm

sethlazar wrote:so i'm guessing that is an irretrievable problem?

not necessarly, but you'll need to either get your card manufacturers dedicated recovery software or send your card in to a specialty house.... so now it really has everyting to do with how valuable these frames were.

madlights

Post Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:58 am

http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/uk/welcome.htm
It's free and works where others won't even if the headers are bad...if you have a PC that is.

Board index Equipment Photo Editing Software CR2 Corrupt problems