Board index Equipment Photo Editing Software Noise Reduction: Use camera or software?

Photo Editing Software

Noise Reduction: Use camera or software?

john_t

Noise Reduction: Use camera or software?

Post Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:44 am

Is it better to perform noise reduction via the camera (Nikon D80) or post process using a 3rd party software? The highest ISO I will probably shoot with is 800.

If it is better to post process the picture, should I disable the noise reduction feature in my camera completely? It is defaulted to normal reduction.

Thanks

dang

Post Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:04 am

My personal feelings about NR is to always do it in post processing, since you have much better control. Most "in camera" processing will lose too much detail. If you don't have NR, you can get a free version of Neat Image here: http://www.neatimage.com It's limited to web size photos of around 1024 pixels in size, but should give you an idea of how well it works.

john_t

Post Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:58 am

dang wrote:My personal feelings about NR is to always do it in post processing, since you have much better control. Most "in camera" processing will lose too much detail. If you don't have NR, you can get a free version of Neat Image here: http://www.neatimage.com It's limited to web size photos of around 1024 pixels in size, but should give you an idea of how well it works.

Do you recommend turning off the camera's noise reduction feature completely if you were going to post process it?
Nikon D80

jdepould

Post Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:07 am

I keep my NR at low or normal for high ISO, then do additional NR in Lightroom when necessary. That sensor isn't too bad at 800, so I wouldn't worry too much either way.
Nikon D300, D200
Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D, 55mm f/1.4 micro, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G DX, 80-200 f/2.8D
Apple PowerBook G4, MacBook Pro
Adobe Lightroom, Photoshop CS3

Board index Equipment Photo Editing Software Noise Reduction: Use camera or software?