Board index Equipment Photo Editing Software I need some help regarding software...

Photo Editing Software

I need some help regarding software...

jestev

I need some help regarding software...

Post Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:28 am

Hey folks,
I'm currently trying to figure out what I want to do regarding software. I currently use Photoshop Elements 3.0 at home. I don't shoot RAW because the ACR in PSE 3.0 is terrible and doesn't have many preferences. I downloaded a trial of Lightroom hoping that it would cure all of my problems. I was very dismayed to find that it really didn't. I just had trouble figuring out what it was doing to my RAW images (granted I only used a test image that I took a while ago), so I tried editing some of my JPEGs from a trip I just took. I found it did a great job, but I had lots of trouble exporting them and so on. I then, to test, edited them in PSE 3.0 my way and couldn't come close to the colors made in Lightroom mostly because 3.0 doesn't have Curves.

My problem is this: I want to shoot RAW but can't find the program to do it with. I can't justify spending $500 or whatever on CS2 when I'm only 17. I know I would use the program (adjustment layers and ACR as well as many other things), but that's a lot for a teenage amateur. Would my problems be settled if I just updated PSE to 5.0 to get the newer algorithms and so on that are in Lightroom (or at least some of them)? Are there any third-party programs that are considered good at RAW conversion by photographers? I could update to 5.0 and then use these RAW programs for where Elements lacks. Should I instead upgrade to 5.0 and then get Nikon Capture for RAW? Should I upgrade to Elements 5.0 and get Lightroom and get a tutorial?

I'm really lost and confused. I know that RAW could take my images to the next level, but I just can't find the way to do it. I've never had problems with Photoshop before (7.0, Elements 3.0, CS2 (I've used 7 and CS2 at school) etc), but now I'm lost.

I hope that makes any sense. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

John
John Stevenson
http://www.pbase.com/jestev
Nikon N70, N6006; D300, D50
Lenses (of 20): Nikkor AF-S 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF, Tokina AT-X 12-24 f/4 AF PRO, Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED AF, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D AF, Micro-Nikkor 55mm f/3.5 AI
Canon S1 IS
Minolta XG-7

reflectionsbyruth

Post Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:18 am

John, looking at your profile, I see you own Nikon.
I own the D70.
Have you downloaded the trial version of Capture NX?
I noticed a big difference in how my pictures turned out and I had a lot more control in adjusting exposure and color.
Check it out and let me know what you think :D

jbrembat

Post Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:55 pm

Hi John,

I think that if you want RAW, you can try DCraw (David Coffin excellent converter), or UFraw (uses DCraw, graphic interface available). Both are free.

In any case take a look at PhotoResampling software, it is not for raw, but it has many great enhancement tools (IMO some are better than the PS equivalent).

PhotoResampling is not free, but is cheap. You can download a demo version for free.

Hope this help.

Jacopo

Board index Equipment Photo Editing Software I need some help regarding software...