Board index Equipment Photo Editing Software Image Cataloguing

Photo Editing Software

Image Cataloguing

wtspc

Image Cataloguing

Post Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:12 pm

The one item that is plaguing me is ‘how to catalogue my images’. I have read the Dam book, interesting but I cannot help thinking it’s over the top for me? I like the idea of key names etc and do not really want to get into folders/sub folders then sub of the sub etc I just want to keep it simple, if possible. Any ideas of what to look at?

Currently hold about 4000+ images half jpeg remainder raw which is what I use almost exclusively now. Will back up via a G5 and 2 external H/drives and store on DVD when I have weeded them in LightRoom. Any suggestions would be well received.

gebben

Cataloging you pictures.

Post Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:47 am

Take a look at IDImager the free version is one of the most complete systems I've seen. And if I can understand this thing then anyone can.
IDimager.com This program is just fun to use to play with. Give it a try you will be amazed.

goodlistener

Post Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:52 am

Its on a Mac and most people use PC, but my personal favorite is iPhoto. It comes free on a Mac and has a lot to do with why I like digital photography. The last post mentiond a share ware program, which I am not personally familiar with. Another option may be to look at a free product from Google. Look on their site. Lots of people like it.

ilanphoto

Post Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:01 am

The google application is called picasa

there are many other options some free some cheap ~30$ and others expensive at a few hundred dollars

I use Kalimages it works on keywords so you will have to add keywords to your images others work on tags

You will have to find one that best supports your workflow and needs. All have them have trial versions so it is worth your time to try them out until you find one the works for you

bred

Re: Image Cataloguing

Post Thu May 03, 2007 4:12 pm

If you are not interesting in organizing your collection in a logical manner using third-party photo managers I can suggest you to try our the small utility named RoboImport. It helps you to resort the folders and rename the images on PC plus RI has many useful for pro-phographers features like automation time-consuming "on-the-fly" tasks: autorotates, DNG conversion, put my copyrights.

Here the screenshot of how RI sort your photos:

My second recomendation is look at RI online help:
http://www.picajet.com/en/roboimport/help/index.html

for these chapters:
Selecting the Best Folder Naming Scheme and Selecting the Best File Naming Scheme. It helps you to avoid some image cataloging mistakes.

Board index Equipment Photo Editing Software Image Cataloguing