Board index Equipment Photo Editing Software New Laptop with Vista or a Mac Powerbook???

Photo Editing Software

New Laptop with Vista or a Mac Powerbook???

Should I get a HP with Vista and 17 inch viewable laptop or a Mac Powerbook with 15'4" laptop

Poll ended at Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:58 am

Mac
70%
HP with Vista
30%

Total votes : 10

just_tim

New Laptop with Vista or a Mac Powerbook???

Post Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:58 am

My thoughts, HP with 17 viewable Windows Vista and all my current software will work...

Or Mac Powerbook with 15.4" viewable and purchase new software???

WHAT DO I DO. THIS IS DRIVING ME INSANE!

just_tim

Post Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:46 pm

ok, maybe this isn't going to help me.. LOL

jdepould

Post Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:12 pm

I've not heard good things about Vista. As I understand, it uses a lot of memory just sitting there.
Nikon D300, D200
Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D, 55mm f/1.4 micro, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G DX, 80-200 f/2.8D
Apple PowerBook G4, MacBook Pro
Adobe Lightroom, Photoshop CS3

alexphotos

Post Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:05 am

I am in the same boat to sell or not to sell pc and to get or not to get a mac pro
Alexandre Trudeau-Dion aka ALEXPHOTOS http://www.pbase.com/alexphotos <=== http://www.Alexphotos.ca

just_tim

Post Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:51 am

What way are you leaning??? I will still have the desktop pc... I guess I don't know about the learning curve for the mac? Some people say it was tough but I think maybe those people were not so crazy about computers anyway? I just know that I don't have a week to learn how to use the mac?? But will it be more efficient in the long run???? AHHHH... By the time I make the desicion I'll have less hair...LOL

jdepould

Post Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:00 pm

Using a Mac isn't hard IMHO, it took me about an hour to acquiant myself with the basic usage. After a week I wasn't even thinking about any of the functions.

One of the reasons Mac users feel so strongly about their computers is that they're actually fun to use. The interface makes sense and is pleasing to the eye, my mom hates her work PC and she's been known to say that my computer is fun to use when she's fed up with her's.
Nikon D300, D200

just_tim

Post Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:44 pm

thank you much... I think we know which way I'm leaning... LOL... I guess maybe the extra $$$ is worth it then...

nonsuch

Here's what you need to do!

Post Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:58 pm

Go to any store with current Vista machines and then do a Ctrl/Alt/Del or press and hold Control and Alt and the hit the Delete key. In the system resources screen that pops up look at the usage of the physical memory!

I checked 11 PC's and the lowest physical memory usage was 44% on a 2 gig of memory machine at system idle! 44% of the memory or 85% of a gig is used just to keep a Vista machine on with NO programs running!!!! Some of the 1gb (memory) machines were using 67% of physical memory at system idle!!!!! How many gigs of ram do you need in a Vista machine to effectively run Lightroom or CS3? If vista is effectively using a gig just to be turned on my guess is that you'll need a 4gb of physical memory to compete with 512gb of memory in a Mac. Needless to say I was horrified and knew right then and there that my PC days were done. Do the ctrl/alt/del and see for yourself!

I've been a PC guy for my entire life but I finally broke down and purchased a Mac. Am I nervous? You bet but according to everyone I have spoken with it should be a piece of cake transition.

I just ordered a MacBook Pro 15.4 inch with matte screen and a 2.16 core 2 duo from the Mac Store refurb dept for $1599.00 (this is the current model that sells for $1999.00).

I can't wait and it will be here Tuesday of next week! Watch the refurb site and you'll eventually get the one you want! They seem to load them onto the refurb site in the middle of the night so it pays to be an early riser. In the time I was on the phone ordering mine all three 15.4 inch Macbook Pros with the core 2 duo not the core duo were sold! The Mac refurb site is great I have purchased four iPods from them and never had a problem. My brother the Mac guy buys all his stuff off the refurb site too..

My next purchase, when I get used to the Macbook, will be a 24 inch iMac. Anyone want a 2.53ghz P4 Gateway with 2gb of Ram???

Mac Refurb
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/W ... =Certified

burgkamp

Mac or PC?

Post Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:19 pm

Warning - This Article may be Offensive to some PC users!

With so many people using PC’s and with most of them running Windows, why would you consider a Mac? The answer is simple, most people haven’t really considered a Mac and make their computer buying decision based on hearsay and mass marketing. When you do the research it’s obvious when considering Mac vs PC… There is no contest!

Cost
The general blanket statement would indicate that a PC is less expensive then a Mac, is this totally true? If you compare a High end name brand PC like a Sony to a Mac, the Mac also being a high end name brand then pricing is generally very close and in some cases the similar Mac version may even be less expensive. If you compare a White Box Generic PC to a Mac then the White Box will undoubtedly be less expensive. On a Generic PC don’t expect the customer support, reliability, bundled software or design and styling that comes with a Name Brand computer. All new Macs come with a generous compilation of included programs, many of which have no rival on the PC.

Lets take a look at Apple’s iLife for example.
iLife programs have the added benefit of full integration with each other and consists of:

iTunes. Apple’s Audio, Music and Video Juke box. (iTunes is a free download for PC or Mac and will give you a good idea of what a typical Mac application is like, once you learn iTunes you have in essence learned the rest of the iLife Programs.)

iPhoto. Apple’s Digital Shoe Box. View, edit, organize and share all of your Digital Cameras Pictures and Movies.

iWeb. Apple’s template based WYSIWYG Webpage design program.

Garage Band. Like having a full recording studio in your computer complete with Virtual Synths & Samplers, Effects, Loop editing and Audio recording.

iMovie HD. Make your home movies come to life, focus on creativity, not compatibility, full HD support right up to 720p and 1080i.

iDVD. Like having a graphics department right in your basement pumping out unbelievable themes to make all of your Digital iLife content viewable and sharable in DVD form.

Each of these programs stand on their own and would individually be worth $100 or more if you could even get them for a PC. Totaling an investment of over $500, add that to your PC purchase.
(Mac vs PC = Mac 1 - PC 0)

Performance and Features
As far as hardware similarities, Macs and PC’s are getting closer and closer, they now even share the same Intel Chips making raw speed and performance almost identical. This is true when running Window on both machines but when using OS X the Mac has the added advantage of an OS that is finely tuned specifically for Mac hardware, not like Windows that has to compromise performance for compatibility with the multitude of PC configurations.

Macs tend to lead the way with Features that PC’s eventually adopt, for example the original iMac committed to using USB when only about a dozen USB accessories where available creating an instant market for USB devices.The first iBook had built in Wireless capabilities well before Wireless was even popular. All new Mac models, even Desktops include built-in WiFi and BlueTooth. All Mac laptops have Hard drives with Sudden Motion Sensors and Trackpads that can tell the difference between one finger or two finger movement giving you scrolling abilities on demand. These are just a few examples.
(Mac vs PC = Mac 2 - PC 0)

Design and Style
Here is a Quote form Roger Ebert.

“Macs turn up in the movies all the time — not so much because of product placement, but because so many movie people use them and like them. A historian of the future, counting all the on-screen computers between 1983 and today, would likely conclude that Macs represented 90 percent of the computer market.

Alas, this is not so. But since any reasonable person would choose a Mac over a PC, Apple’s market share does provide us with an accurate reading of the percentage of reasonable people in our society.â€

johnfalky

Post Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:47 am

yada, yada, it really makes little difference. I was a heavy MAC user in the past because there was nothing else. But Apple knew this as well and ripped off every single buyer of their equipment by selling them an underperforming machine with serious glitches, like virtually NO RAM, and then screwing you a second time because you HAD to buy RAM to make that thing work. As a reminder of this ripoff period I still have a 66mhz power pc running which has a tiny hard drive and virtually no memory, makes it a nice looking machine but a turd of a performer and I remember it set me back $2,000 with the 15-inch monitor which required a special adapter. I have never forgiven Apple for that. I switched to Windows, put up with the problems, but found tons of software that never was there for a MAC. My picture taking has not been affected. My viewpoint is that both MAC and PC are about the same. Its a tool you use to achieve something, not the end to exist for. Once they're obsolete, both Macs and PCs go to the same junk heap.

burgkamp

If the last Mac you used was a 66mhz power pc...

Post Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:19 pm

I suggest you try a new Intel core duo driven PowerMac G5 and compare that to your PC. You may just change your mind. And you can boot Vista on it too!

martinphotography

decisions decisions

Post Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:22 am

If you have the money, this is a no brainer. Mac
I've used both systems back and forth for the past 15 years.
The new powerbook intel based systems absolutely are the way to go.
If you can't afford it, then use what you have. But I'm hearing negative stuff on Vista. I'm not updating to vista on my PC (I have both).
Go for it! You only live once - and you haven't really lived if you haven't owned and used a Mac.

Martin

madlights

Post Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:32 am

I'm not going to Vista. Really think if Linux doesn't become totally plug and play and at least has the ability to emulate Photoshop this is my last pc. I'd switch to a Mac in 1/2 a second ...Vista has many problems from what seems a lot have written, and heard from a few who have it....drivers, slow speed even with much memory. I've heard Vista is a 2 year stopgap between XP and whatever Longhorn is going to be called. With the Mac you can emulate Windows...can't do that the other way round yet that I'm aware of. Heard of a larger company that took Vista off and reinstalled XP. Don't know how true...but take the chance? We know Macs are now cool...and more expensive. But think MS is shooting itself in the foot with Vista...then again I guess Apple has also shot itself in the foot in the past too. Myself I'm hoping for Linux to get accepted by more developers, or somebody like Sun Microsystems to offer a workable OS for a lot less money...Or someone to work out an OS that could run both a Mac OS and a MS OS inside...I'm probably dreaming too much here.

jdepould

Post Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:56 pm

madlights wrote:I'm not going to Vista. Really think if Linux doesn't become totally plug and play and at least has the ability to emulate Photoshop this is my last pc. I'd switch to a Mac in 1/2 a second ...Vista has many problems from what seems a lot have written, and heard from a few who have it....drivers, slow speed even with much memory. I've heard Vista is a 2 year stopgap between XP and whatever Longhorn is going to be called. With the Mac you can emulate Windows...can't do that the other way round yet that I'm aware of. Heard of a larger company that took Vista off and reinstalled XP. Don't know how true...but take the chance? We know Macs are now cool...and more expensive. But think MS is shooting itself in the foot with Vista...then again I guess Apple has also shot itself in the foot in the past too. Myself I'm hoping for Linux to get accepted by more developers, or somebody like Sun Microsystems to offer a workable OS for a lot less money...Or someone to work out an OS that could run both a Mac OS and a MS OS inside...I'm probably dreaming too much here.

Macs really aren't more expensive, it's just that there are cheaper PCs around. If you spec a PC so that it's comparable to a Mac (doesn't really matter which one), then the prices are pretty competitive. Obviously, rebates, sales, and minor differences are still going to factor in, but it's not nearly what MS would like you to think.
Nikon D300, D200

andrys

Post Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:25 am

I used Macs only for the last 6 years at work. At home I use a PC.
In classes I take now, it's almost all Macs, but they are set to come up
in Windows by default because most of the users are pc-based.

I still prefer the pc by quite a bit. I don't like having everything done
for me. And I really like a lot of utilities that aren't available for the Mac.
I used the Macs as a regular user but also did some development
processes on it with hybrid cds to be distributed.

Today I read that Vista is making users so unhappy that even Dell will
start offering new machines with XP instead and will help users go back
to XP if they want. Other vendors are expected to offer that.

And at the university where I worked the last 6 years (UC) they're now
moving depts from Macs to PCs due to the software that's more
commonly used and custom programs that are made for pc's first
while making Mac users wait.

In the meantime I never change OS's until others have worked out
the problems :-) XP is extremely stable for me.

Next

Board index Equipment Photo Editing Software New Laptop with Vista or a Mac Powerbook???