Board index Equipment Photo Editing Software Primitive HDR from a single RAW file.

Photo Editing Software

Primitive HDR from a single RAW file.

normlynch

Primitive HDR from a single RAW file.

Post Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:15 pm

As we all know you can't get a HDR image from a single RAW file but here's my version of how to get a primitive HDR from a single RAW file.

1) In your RAW conversion software generate two exposures, no more than a stop apart, to get in the shadows in one and the highlights in the other.
2) In Photoshop move one of the files into the other by using the move tool (V) while holding down the shift button.
3) Rename each layer appropriately.
4) Position the darker layer at the bottom of the stack and highlight/select it.
5) Goto Select | Color Range...
6) Then Select: Highlights
7) Click OK
8) Highlight/select the upper / brighter layer
9) Select the Lasso tool (L)
10) Right click and select 'Select Inverse'
11) Right click and select 'Feather...'
12) For my 8 MegaPixel shots I use a feather of 25, experiment with this number yourself.
13) With the top layer still highlighted click on 'Add Layer Mask' in the layers pallet
14) By holding down the Shift key and clicking on the new layer mask you can see the HDR in action.

If the image doesn't look convincing then try a smaller difference of exposure in the raw conversion. Experiment, experiment.

I hope this helps someone and hopefully there's not a better way of doing this out there or I've just wasted my time typing up this post.

Please let me know how you get on with this one.

Enjoy, Norm...

normlynch

Post Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:52 pm

Has anyone tried this technique?
If so then please leave comments here.

Norm...

geoff_c

Post Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:37 pm

I have to disagree with you normlynch.

I've been recently experimenting with HDR, and whilst I generally shoot 5 sequential shots and process them in Photomatix Pro, I have recently been creating 5 versions of the same photo from one old RAW file.

I'm actually quite pleased with the results (which aren't too far off my true HDR photos). The following picture hopefully supports this view.

Please feel free to browse around my work, and let me know what you think. I've set up an HDR topic at http://www.pbase.com/topics/geoff_c/hdr to try and pull my efforts together.

Cheers

Geoff
+++++++++++++++++++++
+ email: photos@geoffc.com
+ web: http://www.geoff.com
+++++++++++++++++++++

Board index Equipment Photo Editing Software Primitive HDR from a single RAW file.