Board index Equipment Photo Editing Software Artwork That I do not have a clue about

Photo Editing Software

Artwork That I do not have a clue about

lln5252

Artwork That I do not have a clue about

Post Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:14 am

Please can anyone shed any light on what program I would need to edit artwork so it fits in any of the following formats:

EPS file with all fonts converted to curves (paths). PC or MAC
PDF file (preferably with fonts converted to paths). PC or MAC
JPG bitmaps at least 300dpi (1mb +). PC or MAC
CorelDraw v12 with all fonts converted to curves (DO NOT EMBED FONTS). PC ONLY

It must also have: artwork must include 3mm bleed (countermats 5mm bleed) - Do not include crop marks (see table below). Bleed is extra print outside the finished product size, that is cut away after production & should be an extension of the background but with no content required on the finished product.

Therefore the size of the photo should be 235 x 200mm and also the bleed, which will make it to 241 x 206 mm.

Is there a program which will do it to the above specifications and also enlarge it as well?

If you could let me know I would be ever so grateful. You can also contact me on Lln5252@aol.com.

jdepould

Post Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:29 pm

Photoshop is the obvious answer, there's other stuff out there, but the vast majority of people are using Photoshop CS2 (or 3) or Photoshop Elements.
Nikon D300, D200
Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D, 55mm f/1.4 micro, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G DX, 80-200 f/2.8D
Apple PowerBook G4, MacBook Pro
Adobe Lightroom, Photoshop CS3

jellophoto

Post Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:16 pm

Laura,

What you have listed looks to me like parameters/instructions for working with a commercial printing company, or publisher.

The first 2 items are file formats for commercial printing commonly used for setting up pages, the JPG reference is specifying the photo files they require (The printer converts them to a different format once they have them) and the 4th reference is simply the vector files (drawings & coloured artwork that they can can handle. The bleed spec is intended to tell you how to set up your pages for printing. Without knowing more I cannot help you much further.

If you are simply supplying photographs then send them in the jpg format that they request and the print company will set them up.You will need a photo editor such as photoshop, photo paint or similar to prepare the photos for the printed page. If the artwork required ie. the page is complex then it sounds as if you haven't yet got the necessary skills to produce it, as you will need to learn a page makeup program such as:

Quark Express
In Design
Page Maker
Publisher.

With these programs your photograph is set onto a page, often with text and other graphics ( a bit like word but more sophisticated). Your photo is edited first in Photoshop or similar and then imported onto the page.

You can also use Corell Draw as a page layout programme, it is good for doing posters and pamphlets, but the other page layouts are better for complex projects such as books or magazines.

Hope this helps

Regards John

Board index Equipment Photo Editing Software Artwork That I do not have a clue about