Board index Equipment Photo Editing Software Possible tip for CS2

Photo Editing Software

Possible tip for CS2

jimcritchley

Possible tip for CS2

Post Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:54 pm

I have just found out from my partner who is a graphic designer that it is best to convert your raw files into CYMK and 16 bit before editing as this gives you closer colour rendition to most printers. Also gives you a better touch up in levels. Apologies if you already knew this but thought I would share some new (for me) knowledge :D

ghsmith178613

Re: Possible tip for CS2

Post Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:15 pm

jimcritchley wrote:I have just found out from my partner who is a graphic designer that it is best to convert your raw files into CYMK and 16 bit before editing as this gives you closer colour rendition to most printers. Also gives you a better touch up in levels. Apologies if you already knew this but thought I would share some new (for me) knowledge :D

so, i'm wondering where you boys learned color management. not just you and your graphics guy, it's the whole lot on here. the first thing you guys do is throw away your color infomation? why do suppose that your cameras and devices have 16 bit color spaces? 32 and 48 bit portable devices are not that far awy.

have you just not learned color management and the relationship to color spaces?

sorry for the rant, and sorry to bust his bubble, but this finally hit a nerve.

these guys are not the best, but you can get stated. http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutori ... ement1.htm
there are other and far better sources, and they are only a google away.

dougj

Re: Possible tip for CS2

Post Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:42 pm

ghsmith178613 wrote:
jimcritchley wrote:so, i'm wondering where you boys learned color management. not just you and your graphics guy, it's the whole lot on here.

Why do you assume *the whole lot on here* do not understand & practice color management?

jimcritchley

Post Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:15 am

ghsmith, I am assuming you think I am a graphic designer. Sorry to 'burst your bubble' but I am just an enthusiast who evidently doesn't understand much about colour. While I was trying to post a possible tip (SEE TITLE), rather than pratt on about colour management maybe you could found out a little bit about me rather than jump the proverbial gun. Thanks for your valuable input though :shock:

jellophoto

Post Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:30 am

Jim,

I think your Graphic Designer friend is referring to the fact that commercial offset printers work with CYMK colour space as they need to do seperations to make plates for the 4 colours. The rest of us work in the RGB colour space of monitors. Whenever I have supplied artwork for printing I convert my photo files for the project to CYMK, but only once they are ready to go to the print shop.

Regards John

jimcritchley

Post Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:24 pm

Thank you for that. Does that mean I should do level corrections in RGB rather than the CYMK?

jellophoto

Post Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:14 pm

Jim,

I would suggest that you do your editing in RGB, unless you need to go to CYMK for a particular project. If most of your work is destined for the web or an inkjet printer I see no need to change what you do. There are other colour spaces, but again unless you need to use them and know what you are doing stick with RGB.

Having said that an inkjet will not give you an exact replication of your monitor, as the colour space of the printer is slightly different. The inks cannot replicate the monitor, though they continue to get better. Most people I would suggest can live with this slight discrepancy.

Hope this helps
Regards John

jimcritchley

Post Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:20 pm

It helps greatly, thanks again.

Board index Equipment Photo Editing Software Possible tip for CS2