Board index Equipment Photo Editing Software Editing in PhotoshopCS2

Photo Editing Software

Editing in PhotoshopCS2

melissas0711

Editing in PhotoshopCS2

Post Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:27 am

Hi,

This is probably a simple question to answer, but I want to know how to remove the background in a picture? I have some pictures of limousines that I've taken to be include in my website and I want to be able to separate the background from the limousine so that I can change the background. How can I do that?

Thanks
Melissa[/img]

akumos

Post Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:14 am

Hi there

There are 2 ways to do this, both require a bit of practise.

First way: Magic Wand Tool (Looks like a magis wand on the toolbar)

To use this tool, you click on an area of the image (say the background) and everything the same colour will be picked up. You can hold down the shift key and do this as many times as you like to get the whole background or forground image. Obviously, this is alot eaiser when you shoot a photo against a bg all the same colour but it can be done if not. Like i say, just takes time. (There is a tolerance setting at the top, usually set at 30. The higher you put the number, the less carefull about picking up the exact same colour the toll will be).

Second Way: Magnetic Lasso Tool (Above the crop tool)

This tool lets you drag a line rougly around the part you want to cut out. It sticks to the edge of the part your cutting out making it nice and smooth. May take you a few go's though. When you have it, copy it and paste it to your new background.

Tip: After you've done one of these things and put the image on the new background. Merge the layers and use the Clone Tool to rconsiliate the edges of the new object. Also try adjusting the colour balance so that it fits the background better.

After a few years experience it gets easier and can be done quickly. If you want to email one I'll gladly help you out. But its best to learn yourself for furture.

Hope this helps.

akumos

Post Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:20 pm

Hi again

Since posting a reply I've also found new tools. They are located on the olbar on the left. One is the Background eraser and the other is Magic Eraser. They are both similar to the Magic Wand tool I explained above having a tolerence setting but I found not as good.

Hope this helps.

paulsilkphotography

Post Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:32 pm

You could also try the Extract filter which is a little more advance to use but very effective :)
Keep on snapping and catch the moment if you can.
Paul

http://www.pbase.com/paulsilkphotography

Board index Equipment Photo Editing Software Editing in PhotoshopCS2