Board index Equipment Photo Editing Software Website suggestions

Photo Editing Software

Website suggestions

lizawhite

Website suggestions

Post Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:15 pm

I would like to have a website for my photography business. I've seen softwares and places online for building sites but no idea which to choose. I would like to try to do it myself. Any suggestions???

malamute

re software

Post Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:04 pm

one of the popular software is Dream Weaver,can either be used directly in html format or plain design format (ie you just type in what you want,add images etc and the software does the rest)

horsegoggles

godaddy

Post Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:23 am

http://godaddy.com offers really cheap hosting plans, with photogallery server software included. you can have your site hosted on either a linux or windows machine. I am not using it for business, but have a photo site hosted by godaddy at http://photophoenix.net using their free serendipity software. If you want to run a business web site you may want to look into their dedicated servers. These folks blow everone else out of the water as far as I am concerned. I have two websites hosted by them, each having a terabyte of bandwidth and 100 gb of storage for a total of $14.99 a month, month by month. If you want to sign a contract it's even cheaper. I don't work for them or have any affiliation except being totally impressed. Their domain name prices are cheap also. I have one site on linux and the other on windows, I forget which machine the photo gallery software works on.
Last edited by horsegoggles on Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

malamute

godaddy

Post Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:54 pm

I don't like how godaddy put their damn ads ontop of your domain if you dont connect it with a website,after all the person has paid for the domian and it is godday who should be paying for their useless ads.Godaddy is cheap for domains(well some anyway),period.This is the only thing i do like about gaddy.
I have three domains hosted at godaddy and all are pointed away from their systems (nameservers)

horsegoggles

godaddy

Post Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:41 pm

I don't have godaddy adds on my domains. I guess I don't understand what you mean by connecting to a website. That's why I bought the domains, to point to my websites. If you mean that you haven't built a web site, any provider puts temporary information at your site until you add your own index.html or .php or whatever. Unless you are talking about free hosting, then why wouldn't you expect their adds? Paying for a domain doesn't entitle you to a web presence. The one has nothing to do with the other cost wise unless you buy some special package. I currently own a third domain that is not hosted by anyone, it's just out there in limbo until I pay someone to host it. Another senario is that when you purchased your domains, godaddy was kind enough to park them at their site until you pay to have them hosted. If that is the case, there may be a time limit on how long they will park them. I went back to look and the serendipity package is available on their Linux servers.

horsegoggles

Re: godaddy

Post Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:51 am

Never mind!
Last edited by horsegoggles on Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:15 am, edited 3 times in total.

ghsmith178613

Re: Website suggestions

Post Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:53 am

lizawhite wrote:I would like to have a website for my photography business. I've seen softwares and places online for building sites but no idea which to choose. I would like to try to do it myself. Any suggestions???

liza,

back to your question.

dreamweaver and flash are both excellent for building sites. flash has actually become preferred by people in our business. it's a lot tougher to right-click images on a flash site. all of which begs the question. are you going to host this yourself? your own server? will you have someone else do the hosting? uploading your files to their server?

i have hosted my own dot com for about 6 years. it's on a 6mbs dsl residential line, home type desktop pc, using a dns service. the current is version is written in dreamweaver. it is bare of images that belong to me. the next version is being written in flash. it will be heavy in my images.

you are welcome to pm me if you wish. i will be glad to go into details about a system very like this one, and where the love is gentle.

oh, and i promise, no bickering, no bitiing, cussing, clawing, scratching eyes, pulling hair, no off topic remarks, name calling, or other distractions.

lucianob

Post Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:46 pm

Board index Equipment Photo Editing Software Website suggestions