Board index Equipment Photo Editing Software Layering 2 Images in PhotoshopCS2

Photo Editing Software

Layering 2 Images in PhotoshopCS2

tissa

Layering 2 Images in PhotoshopCS2

Post Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:52 am

I have an image that I want to fade the background out into b/w.
I made the background transparent using background eraser on one copy of the image. Then, I made the second copy b/w.

Now when I try to layer the two images, they either both revert to color, or both to b/w.

Anybody able to help me?

dang

Post Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:43 am

I have a fast tut for this, adding ©, frames and simple clone technique here: http://www.pbase.com/dang/frame
It's done using PS Elements, but should be pretty close. There's also links to other sites that have instructions including video instructions, plus links where you can find free programs. I find lots of useful information & programs on the sites.
Hope it helps.

ernst

Post Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:34 am

Tissa,
If I understand you correctly, you did the B+W conversion by changing the colour mode to greyscale. If you then merge the two copies of the image, one of them is converted to the target colour mode.

Keep in RGB mode and copy the photo into a new layer (same document).
Do the BW conversion for one layer either with Channel mixer or Hue/Saturation or any other preferred method. I prefer channel mixer because it gives great flexibility.
Then erase or mask the pieces you don't want to see. If you make a mask, you can always revert to your original image, so mistakes are more easily corrected.

Even more simple: In your original photo, select the areas that you want to be B+W. Feather the selection 1 or 2 pixels for a clean edge.
With the selection active, create a Channel mixer adjustment layer and do the B+W conversion.
You can always correct mistakes or adjust the selection by painting with black or white in the layer mask.

Hope this helps

jypsee

Re: Layering 2 Images in PhotoshopCS2

Post Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:49 pm

use one file (image) and select your area that you want to remain in color and reverse the selection and then feather the selection by X number of pixels and then you can desaturate or apply whatever BW technique you want. You can also blur your selection to "fade" it (I read "fade" as blur or dissolve). you can repeat this process out to the edge of the photo til (select, invert selection, desaturate, blur) to blend your dissolve so it's less abrupt.
here's some examples of selective color and selective blur
http://www.pbase.com/jypsee/image/64180225
http://www.pbase.com/jypsee/image/64180152
HTH

tissa wrote:I have an image that I want to fade the background out into b/w.
I made the background transparent using background eraser on one copy of the image. Then, I made the second copy b/w.

Now when I try to layer the two images, they either both revert to color, or both to b/w.

Anybody able to help me?

Board index Equipment Photo Editing Software Layering 2 Images in PhotoshopCS2