Board index Equipment Photo Editing Software RAW Processing in Photoshop CS2 - Sharpening

Photo Editing Software

RAW Processing in Photoshop CS2 - Sharpening

dirtyol

RAW Processing in Photoshop CS2 - Sharpening

Post Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:17 am

Do you sharpen in the RAW converter software or do you sharpen after you save the file as a jpg or do you sharpen in both?

I shoot RAW & jpg & can never get a RAW image as sharp as the in-camera processed jpg after a bit of Smart Sharpen is applied. Because of this I tend to adjust my jpgs wherever possible & hardly touch my RAW files.

If I new a way to get the sharpness right, I'd probably do away with jpgs in a lot of instances (I am sure my PCs disk space would appreciate this).

So I guess my question is, What is your workflow for Sharpening your RAW images :?:

Thanks

jdepould

Post Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:10 pm

If you're trying to sharpen the full size image it isn't going to do much. Sharpening works best after you've resized, I convert to tiff from Adobe Lightroom, then open them in CS2 to do my pixel editing. I duplicate the layer, switch to luminosity blending, then run unsharp mask around 110%, 0.3 radius, and 1 threshold until it's just ever so slightly over sharpened, then I back the opacity down until I'm happy. Sometimes it gets too oversharpened, in which case "undo" is my friend.
Nikon D300, D200
Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D, 55mm f/1.4 micro, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G DX, 80-200 f/2.8D
Apple PowerBook G4, MacBook Pro
Adobe Lightroom, Photoshop CS3

Board index Equipment Photo Editing Software RAW Processing in Photoshop CS2 - Sharpening