Board index Equipment Photo Editing Software How to make an jpeg image take less space when uploaded

Photo Editing Software

How to make an jpeg image take less space when uploaded

fabienz

How to make an jpeg image take less space when uploaded

Post Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:13 pm

Hi,

I am new to PBASE and I am on the 30 days trial period. At the moment I have tested the upload of my images to my gallery which is working fine nevertheless I have a problem with it as I can only upload about 10 images and then the all 10 MB space is used. I am wondering if there is a way to have these images compressed to take less space. Maybe a freeware or a PBASE option that I am not aware of .

Cheers

jdepould

Re: How to make an jpeg image take less space when uploaded

Post Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:19 am

fabienz wrote:Hi,

I am new to PBASE and I am on the 30 days trial period. At the moment I have tested the upload of my images to my gallery which is working fine nevertheless I have a problem with it as I can only upload about 10 images and then the all 10 MB space is used. I am wondering if there is a way to have these images compressed to take less space. Maybe a freeware or a PBASE option that I am not aware of .

Cheers

You have all your pictures password protected so its difficult to give a good recommendation. If you haven't resized them from when they were uploaded to your computer from the camera, try that, also you can try reducing the jpeg quality before you upload them to pbase, I usually save at 80% quality and resize to a maximum of 900x900, whichever side is longest. You can try the delete original option in your gallery edit panel with the images you've already uploaded, that could give you some more room too. Welcome to pbase, hope you'll stick around after the trial period is over.
Nikon D300, D200
Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D, 55mm f/1.4 micro, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G DX, 80-200 f/2.8D
Apple PowerBook G4, MacBook Pro
Adobe Lightroom, Photoshop CS3

macpfist

Post Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:04 am

Don't forget to size your images at 72dpi.

dougj

Post Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:46 am

IrfanView is a very nice free program for doing basic image editing.

http://www.irfanview.net/

Crop the image, do some adjustments as desired, resize/resample to the final size and then "save as" and select "JPG" and a quality setting of 85-95.

The maximum width should be about 800 pixels, and maximum height around 650, whichever is smaller. This will be good for web viewing.

I hope this helps.

catbounds

Post Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:00 pm

I use PhotoShop to resize my digital art, and 1008 pixels wide fits well, at 72 pixels/inch. I save "save for web" at 40%.

dang

Post Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:52 pm

I agree 100% with Doug.
The most common size for pbase is a maximum of 800 pixels wide, so you only have a small, medium & original size. 800 max gives a nice size for most screen resolutions, and isn't so large they can be made into large size prints.

It's best to use "Save As" function if using PS, so you're exif is kept in tact so others can view it. Using "Save for the Web" removes it. Also, a good size is between 125 & 200 kb when saving, going lower tends to add artifacts which makes for less than best quality. Note too, that using the "Save As" function allows you to rename your shot as a copy (or different name for easy finding) and doesn't destroy your original. This is suggested in case you later need the larger files for printing.

DPI isn't something to be too concerned over, I believe most programs default to around 72, and really doesn't affect viewing on the web anyway if I understand right. More important things as color space would be something to watch. If you save in Abode RGB instead of sRGB it's going to be converted when uploaded. This will result in color change, and other possible degrading.

tuckeruk

Post Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:02 am

"Don't forget to size your images at 72dpi."

Dpi has NO meaning online!

A 800 x 600 image at 1dpi
and a 800 x 600 image at 72dpi
and a 800 x 600 image at 1,000,000dpi

...are all exactly the same...800 pixels x 600 pixels.

Try it.

Once again, dpi has no meaning here.

Board index Equipment Photo Editing Software How to make an jpeg image take less space when uploaded