Board index Equipment Photo Editing Software Photo Downloading from Camera

Photo Editing Software

Photo Downloading from Camera

jessitt

Photo Downloading from Camera

Post Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:43 am

I am brand new to this so please bare with me here. When you download pics from your DSLR do you do so into "My Pictures", then transfer to Picassa or Photoshop, or ???. I have a cheap camera now and download into My pictures then Picassa imports them, then I have to export back to "My Pictures". My question is this. Am I using alot of space on my hard drive because I have 2 copies of each photo on my puter, one in MP and one in Picassa. It seems kind of redundant. I also do alot of selling on Ebay, so do I need these photos in "My Pictures" or can I store them somewhere else so that Ebay can access them??

Any help would be appreciated.

Confused in VT,
Rich

castledude

Post Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:22 pm

http://picasa.google.com/support/bin/an ... topic=9342

How do I change the import location in Picasa?

You can change the location on your hard drive where Picasa imports photos to.

1. Open Picasa > "Tools" > "Options" > "General"
2. At the bottom of the "General" tab is a section labeled "Save Imported Pictures In:"
3. Click "Browse."
4. Select the location on your hard drive you wish imported photos to be stored
5. Click "OK."
6. Click "OK" again

Picasa will now store imported photos in the drive location you specified.

carpman1962

Post Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:36 am

I'm sure i'm totally wrong (normally am :oops: ) but when Picassa "imports" the pictures is this exactly what it does. I assumed that it just logged their destination(s) within the Picassa program, not actually duplicated them. For instance, if you right click on an image it will give you an option to find/go to the image on your disk (hard drive).

If this is so then there isn't twice the space being used :wink:

jessitt

Post Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:35 am

I am still confused. I now have pictures in Picassa and duplicates in "My Pictures" on my hard drive. If I delete the photos in "My Pictures" they automatically delete from Picassa. How do I delete the My Pictures but yet retain them on Picassa????

Am I missing something here??? Should I have two copies of my photo's?? One in My Pics and one in Picassa? It just seems like it is taking up disc space.

Please Help,
Rich

carpman1962

Post Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:55 am

Hi Rich,
Not quite sure what you are trying to do here.
You say that if you delete them in My Pictures then they also dissappear from Picassa. That's correct because as I said before Picassa only stored something like a thumbnal snapshot of your original within it's program. It does not store the actual picture, that is only in My Pictures.
Following on, why would you still want to see an image in picassa that you had deleted in My Pictures?

jessitt

Post Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:25 pm

I am only trying to not have duplicates of everything,ie: the same photo in both MP and Picassa. Am I wrong????

Is that the way it is. Should I be keeping the photos in MP??? I thought that I could edit in Picassa and then remove them from MP and only have the photo in Picassa.

tell me a better way please.

Rich

dang

Post Sun Oct 08, 2006 4:22 pm

You should always keep your original untouched photos to archive onto a CD for storage in case of a computer crash, imho. The photos in Picaso are usually smaller sizes, and are not the same file.. this is the case with most programs, and the reason for duplicate copies. Also, if you decide you want a photo printed the smaller copy may not be large enough for the size print you want. I always back up to CD's since I've had to reformat a few times over the years. If you get a virus, or some other problem, you can lose everything.

jessitt

Post Sun Oct 08, 2006 4:25 pm

Dang, you are the greatest. Thanks so much for taking the time to clarify this. Now I understand so much better how this whole thing works.

Rich

Board index Equipment Photo Editing Software Photo Downloading from Camera