Board index Equipment Photo Editing Software Color loss when saving to JPEG in Photoshop

Photo Editing Software

Color loss when saving to JPEG in Photoshop

calivw78

Color loss when saving to JPEG in Photoshop

Post Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:22 am

Hello all. First of all, I'm not that smooth with PS. I've searched around for awhile now and can't seem to find an answer to my problem....so here I am.

I have a certain photo that I am editing in PS. It's a RAW image. The only adjustment I made was a slight increase in exposure. Saved to JPEG, uploaded to site...and ugh. What happened to all the color?

Here is the photo after being saved to JPEG with minimal compression. I've also tried PNG and TIFF with no help.
http://wical.com/wp/wp-gallery2.php?g2_ ... temId=1454

Here is a print screen version of what I am seeing when the RAW image is open in PS.
http://wical.com/wp/wp-gallery2.php?g2_ ... temId=1464

Any thoughts on why I am loosing so much of the richness in color?

Thank in advance,
CaliVW78

castledude

Post Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:15 am

Make sure you are saving in sRGB and not adobe RGB...

That is the usual problem

calivw78

Post Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:45 am

Thanks for the responce. Under color setting, I have sRGB. This appears to have already been selected. I have played with 'Color Management Settings' for RGB being both off and on with no apparent change (This is in the same Color Management window.) Am I looking in the right area here?

When going to save the image, I see 'ICC Profile: Adobe RGB (1998)' I have played with this check box being both off and on with no apparent change either.

Thank again for the help...

CaliVW78

calivw78

Post Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:53 am

Ok, I've also now changed my workspace to sRGB. I did this via Image>Mode>Convert to Profile. I chose sRGB there and resaved to JPEG but there is no apparent change.

calivw78

Post Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:07 am

Ok, still messin around with this. Tried re-opening the RAW file and chose sRGB from the start. Saved it as a TIFF with no compression (35Mb image :O ) but its all the same thing. If I open this TIFF in any other software other than PS, it gets the faded affect. Open the TIFF in PS and it looks perfect.

*sigh*

castledude

Post Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:17 pm

Cool .. More information.

Try going through the adjustment wizard for adobe gamma.

See if that helps...

photojaq

May want to try RAW processor from NIK/Nikon

Post Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:41 pm

You may want to try new RAW processing software from Nik/Nikon if that is your camera. The URL for free trial is: http://www.dpreview.com/news/0607/06070701nikoncapturenxtrial.asp - otherwise welcome to rough world of rcamera RAW conversions and color profiles - so many things to control its hard to guess what is wrong here.

johnwaine

Post Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:41 pm

This suddenly started happening to me in PS7 about 6 weeks ago.

As soon as I open any image in PS it has lost colour compared to viewing that same image in any other viewing software.

What is more scary is that if I save it in PS, the new (unchanged) copy is washed out in PS but OK in other software like MS Windows Picture/Fax viewer, Picasa , Zoom browser, DxO.

I can correct this within PS by using layer>newadjustment layer>hue/saturation and upping the saturation by 20 points. But then of course, the image will look over-saturated in other software.

I use have used both sRGB or Adobe RGB colour space in camera and tried both in PS - even 'Don't colour manage' Nothing seems to correct this problem.

Any ideas?

rtwo

Post Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:41 pm

John that is indeed puzzling. My first thought was fiddling with colour space in PS, but you say you have done that. I gather your images are jpg? Try a few raw shots to see if that is still the same problem.

Wish I could help you. Very puzzling. Call Adobe????
Robin Reid
"Lets snap to it" <grin>

rickl52

Post Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:08 pm

Is your PS view set for "proof" by chance?

Board index Equipment Photo Editing Software Color loss when saving to JPEG in Photoshop