Board index Equipment Photo Editing Software Raw Processing by DPP from Canon 5D

Photo Editing Software

Raw Processing by DPP from Canon 5D

suparawee

Raw Processing by DPP from Canon 5D

Post Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:25 pm

Hi,
I recently got my new 5D after using the 300D for years. I tried shooting in RAW+JPEG to find out how better the 5D is. I'm quite new to RAW. I didn't know that it doesn't work with the CS2 as it did with the 300D so I tried processing it by DPP and the result was surprising!

The picture looked so bad like it was taken in low resolution. I could see pixel blocks in the image while and after processed. Compared with JPEG, for somehow I prefered JPEG rather than RAW since it gave shaper detail and pleasured looking (This is not right, is it?). One guy told me that it was because of the Sharpening filter I put on in the Picture stlye so I set it to 0 but still I can see the blocks and the picture didn't look as sharp as the JPEG(weird huh?)

Again, I'm new to RAW. I don't know that is this something I should expect from it or not? Compare my result with other 5D RAW samples on the net, they look way better than mine. I must have forgotten something. Do you guys have any idea to make my RAW better than JPEG? Plz help, thank you so much, Victor

castledude

Post Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:22 pm

CS2 Camera Raw 3.4 (free upgrade) supports the 5D. Make sure you do the installation exactly as specified or it won't work.

As for DPP, without seeing an example it is hard to judge, but my guess is that you are saving the JPEG with too high a compression. Try saving as an uncompressed 16 bit TIFF then load it into CS2.

Good luck...

Board index Equipment Photo Editing Software Raw Processing by DPP from Canon 5D