Board index Equipment Photo Editing Software Resizing w/PhotoShop CS

Photo Editing Software

Resizing w/PhotoShop CS

diveandride75

Resizing w/PhotoShop CS

Post Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:30 pm

I resized several images to 8x10 this weekend using PhotoShop CS. When I went to have them printed at my local Wolf Camera store, they said the resolution was too small to print it as an 8 x 10.

Note the image and canvas size is both 8 inches by 10 inches on the photo in question. Here is one of them...

http://www.pbase.com/josuburi30/image/6 ... medium.jpg

Any sugestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

lord_of_the_badgers

Post Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:00 pm

don't re-size.. let them print at that size from your originals

gpaai

Post Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:10 pm

Were they talking about the quality of the print? if you have an 8x10 on your PC at 72res, it won't print out with the quality of an 8x10 at 250res. Increasing the resolution of an 8x10 from 72 to 250 resolution will actually reduce the size of the image to somewhere around 2.5x3 inches. I hope this makes sense.

Gary
I love photoshopography.......

lord_of_the_badgers

Post Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:43 pm

either way, i never re-size images before they go to the printers. Only if i was to print at collossal sizes would i consider it.

gpaai

Post Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:50 pm

lord_of_the_badgers wrote:either way, i never re-size images before they go to the printers. Only if i was to print at collossal sizes would i consider it.

If the image size conflicts with the size you are requesting to have printed, does the lab you use make the necessary correction, or do you sometimes get back an image that has been cropped? Believe it or not, this has happened to me on more than one occasion. This is why I always have my images ready at SIZE x 250RES (minimum).

Example: I shoot a jpg file that ends up on my PC at the following size:
3504px X 2336px or 48.667in X 32.444in @ 72res
Let's say I want a printed image 9in X 12in..
Taking the resolution up to somewhere around 250 will create a file at 9in X 13.5 inches. This will crop a 1.5in portion from the sides. Or even worse, if the widest side is set to 12 inches, the other will go to somewhere around 8 inches. This will make fitting the image into a 9X12 frame a little hard.

My numbers may be a little off, but I think you can kind of get the idea. Personally, I have yet to find a printer that I trust 100%. It would be real cool to walk in and say, "Here are the sizes... Do it!" :D

Gary
I love photoshopography.......

jbrembat

Post Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:58 am

hi,
take a look here

krey

8x10

Post Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:30 am

Another option is to use the Crop tool set @ 8x10 and around 240ppi to size your image for printing . This is usually my first step in editing for print .

talleyfamilyphotography

Post Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:25 pm

Yet another option is to set the crop tool for 8 in x 10 in and the PPI field blank. Yes, I said blank.

If you set the PPI field to 300, for example, and crop an 8 x 10 area from your original, PS will create an image with exactly 2400 x 3000 pixels, regardless of the original number of pixels.

If you set the PPI field to blank, cropping an 8 x 10 area, regardless of actual size, will leave the original pixels unaltered.

If you set the PPI to 96 thinking that is what the monitor's "resolution" is will yield a 960 x 768 image (barely a megapixel). Most printers will tell you that your picture will look awful if they actually print it because, honestly, it will.

Board index Equipment Photo Editing Software Resizing w/PhotoShop CS