Board index Equipment Photo Editing Software Adobe Lightroom

Photo Editing Software

Adobe Lightroom

maxfar

Adobe Lightroom

Post Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:09 pm

Has anybody started using Adobe Lightroom (beta 3 for Win just released)? if affirmative I would like to share opinions about it.
Massimiliano

solizphotography

Post Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:01 pm

One thing about Lightwave for Windows. It does not handle 6,000+ Photos very well. Nor does it handle 20 photos in the library well either.

I still prefer Adobe Bridge over Lightwave for now, until I see some updating on the way it handles my collections, I'm sticking with Bridge.

Just not my type of software.

Give it a try and find out: Open Beta is still going, so try it out and see.

madlights

Post Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:50 pm

I've tried the Lightroom Beta for Windows . I find loading the photos is really cumbersome (took me a long time to figure out how even) - I agree in it's present form it doesn't work very well for large numbers of pics. I see that Adobe has bought out Pixmatic (Raw Shooter) I have a feeling this program will be a bit like Raw Shooter at a lot more money (and the free version of Raw Shooter worked very well for most things). I don't know why Lightroom doesn't operate in a standard way to load photos easily from a folder on a folder tree (maybe I haven't found out how yet :-)). Of course it's beta but it seems a little "Out of touch" or doesn't have the intuitive feel I like.... at least for me. I'd rather spend my money in upgrading from CS to CS2.

maxfar

Post Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:03 pm

These are the same fellings I have with this software.
I am a RS Essentials user and found it good but Lightroom looks quite complicated.
At the moment I am comparing it with ACDSEE PRO which allows a fast workflow on the EXIF and IPTC and also implements a RAW converter. I feel really comfortable with it. Have you tried yet?
Massimiliano

jazzmech

Two weeks Of Use

Post Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:36 pm

I feel good about what LR will eventually become. I can only compare it to the PS2 Bridge. LR has helped me add some organization to the 15000 plus images that are on my computer. I really like the develop module because most of the tools that I need are available. Really looking forward to the web gallery module once added. Will post additional comments after additional issue.

:wink:

jdepould

Post Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:58 am

I've been using it for probably 6 months (Mac) and I couldn't go without it. Some of the problems handling the 6000+ photos are probably just bugs (it is a beta after all). The first Mac version was a little buggy, but it's come a long way. If you know what you're doing it can be a very powerful tool, especially when it comes to problems with lighting and exposure. I was able to pull out shots at a live music event that was using colored lighting and make it look like standard white light.[/i]
Nikon D300, D200
Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D, 55mm f/1.4 micro, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G DX, 80-200 f/2.8D
Apple PowerBook G4, MacBook Pro
Adobe Lightroom, Photoshop CS3

mesullivan

Post Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:58 am

I tried the beta for windows and after a few sessions dumped it. It could do a few things fairly easily but wasn't very intuitive for me.

Right now I am trying lightzone and loving it. It seems some photos respond to one program better than others, but having several programs is not financialy feasible for most people.

reflectionsbyruth

Post Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:30 am

I searched lightzone on zdnet and it looks like only a photo editor.

Adobe Lightroom is also a photo organizer which is what a lot of people are looking for. I need to find one that is really worth the effort before my photo collection goes beyond the 3rd year or I'm really going to be in trouble looking for older shots lol

madlights

Post Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:46 am

I've tried the newer Beta 4 Lightroom and it seems way better and faster than the earlier beta. It seems very easy and quick on my machine now, where the old version was really clunky. I figured they'd probably fix it. Think I'll probably pass on buying it, since there are so many programs such as Rawshooter, Irfanview, proprietory camera programs that do the same thing...but this newer version IS way better than the beta 3...it almost seems like a different program. :D

reflectionsbyruth

Post Sat Oct 07, 2006 2:36 am

Beta 4 keeps freezing on me. anyone else have that same problem?

maxfar

Post Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:00 pm

I downloaded Lightroom Beta 4 few weeks ago but after a first attempt I decided to quit definitely.
I still consider ACDseePRO as the best photo organizer and useful to set images for the web. It also develops raw files in a real fast way.
If I need to develop images better I use Rawshooter Essentials and my photo editor is Gimp 2.2
These days I am testing Corel Pro Photo XI as it has a viewer, a raw developper and a photo editor (of course) all together.
Massimiliano
http://www.pbase.com/maxfar

jazzmech

Beta 3 was Great, Beta 4 Is Okay

Post Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:09 pm

Installed Beta 3 and all worked great. Upgraded to Beta 4 and almost gave up on it. Lots of crashes, slow performance, but now after installing Windows Vista RC1, I am LR is working great.

Currently using it as part of my DAM!

:)

reflectionsbyruth

Post Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:43 pm

well thats not good, it should work with Windows XP as well,not just Vista

mnoble

Re: Beta 3 was Great, Beta 4 Is Okay

Post Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:21 am

jazzmech wrote:Installed Beta 3 and all worked great. Upgraded to Beta 4 and almost gave up on it. Lots of crashes, slow performance, but now after installing Windows Vista RC1, I am LR is working great.

Currently using it as part of my DAM!

:)

I am using LR Beta 4 on Windows XP on both my desktop and laptop computers. I have had no problems loading, organizing, or editing. I guess I know PhotoShop well enough (since the early 90s) to know how to handle the tools. And there are a lot of video tutorials hanging about on the internet. I am hoping the price is not too formidable as this would make a great companion to Photoshop. 8)

reflectionsbyruth

Post Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:00 pm

Its Adobe, You know it will be expensive :roll:

Next

Board index Equipment Photo Editing Software Adobe Lightroom