Board index Equipment Photo Editing Software PhotoImpact

Photo Editing Software

PhotoImpact

scotiablue

PhotoImpact

Post Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:02 am

Does anybody use Ulead's PhotoImpact? I've heard good things about it, and have downloaded the trial version. It seems pretty userfriendly and there's a fairly thorough free online beginners workshop with mentoring. The price isn't too bad either.

Cheers

Scotiablue

http://www.petphotographyonline.com

djwixx

Post Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:38 pm

I gather a lot of people here tend to use Photoshop (Elements being the cheapest option), so you might find that the best option if you want help and advice. I hated it when I first started using, only because I was so used to other software, but once you spend a while with it, you'll find it incredible what it can do. I gather Corel Paint Shop Pro X is also extremely good.

With regard to Ulead I've normally dropped their products pretty quickly, only through personal preference.......................

If what you have works for you use it.

reflectionsbyruth

Post Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:11 am

I also own Ulead PhotoImpact versions 8 through 10
I like it for some things but it doesnt read raw files like either Photoshop or MS Digital image Suite 2006 does.
It is pretty easy to use, I figured a lot of it out just by playing with it.

txbluyys

PhotoImpact user -

Post Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:15 pm

I'm VERY happy with my PhotoImpact 11! I had tried to use photoshop CS (version 6 I believe) and Corel, but my patience level isn't all there sometimes and found myself losing interest. It was very confusing for me! I guess it all depends on the person, but I find that between that, Gimp, and Picasa, I have all my needs met. That's just me though :)

castledude

Post Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:42 am

Version 11 added RAW reading.. Not as advanced as PhotoShop but does a pretty good job. It also added Smart Curves that does a pretty good job on raw pictures for compensation based upon the camera model.

Interestingly (well at least to me) PhotoImpact has had High Dynamic Range support for years before CS2.

If you are going to buy it consider buying the repackaged version by Nova Software. It includes some nice extras for usually the same price.

I still tend to use it more than PhotoShop, it is a lot easier.

reflectionsbyruth

Post Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:37 am

I have the Nova software version as well.
I wonder why they package it 2 ways different companies

Glad they finally added RAW support.
Version 10 didnt accept 16bit photos, at least not editing them.

madlights

Post Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:55 pm

I've been using PhotoImpact versions since I got a Windows computer. There are some things it seems to do easily, and some things in comparison with Photoshop it's harder to do with. All in all I think it's pretty good for the money. Full Photoshop does more, but I think in many ways PhotoImpact is very competitive with PSEssentials. I also find PhotoImpact seems easier to correct color balance on JPG files with. I don't have Version 11 yet, probably will upgrade sometime...It seems Ulead always comes out with a patch or 2 after a bit :) So was waiting. Find the Quick Command panel to a lesser degree emulates photoshop actions, and the Easy Palette is pretty neat. The High Dynamic Range tool is fun to play around with. One thing, although it does quite a bit graphically, Photoimpact doesn't have the user base that Photoshop does, so it seems you are much more on your own when it comes to finding info or techniques. Of course it's a lot less pricey than the $650.00(US) or so of Photoshop full version...Just my 2 cents

theaheyink

Post Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:27 pm

I've been using PhotoImpact since it came out years ago, and have grown with it. The only real beef I have is the Help is not very easy to use. The newest version that is due out soon aupport better RAW conversion and editing. I can't see purchasing the highly overpriced PhotoShop when the much cheaper Ulead has all the same features.

Board index Equipment Photo Editing Software PhotoImpact