Board index Equipment Photo Editing Software Ways to Learn Photoshop

Photo Editing Software

Ways to Learn Photoshop

vincentvalle

Ways to Learn Photoshop

Post Tue Jan 06, 2004 10:12 pm

:oops: I need...I want to learn photshop. I am totally new to it. I'd like to inquire about methods of learning the software via visual learning. I can follow a book but video or learning by doing is my best method of learning. Can anyone suggest a cd or video for this?

Thanks,

Vince Valle

http://www.pbase.com/vincentvalle

leheiner

Photoshop References

Post Wed Jan 07, 2004 12:38 am

ihor

Re: Ways to Learn Photoshop

Post Thu Jan 22, 2004 6:52 pm

[quote="vincentvalle"]:oops: I need...I want to learn photshop. I am totally new to it. I'd like to inquire about methods of learning the software via visual learning. I can follow a book but video or learning by doing is my best method of learning. Can anyone suggest a cd or video for this?

Thanks,

Vince Valle

I'd try digitalretouch.org, They have a link to videos & DVDs.

ikwak

Post Sat Mar 20, 2004 1:05 am

Photoshop is worth learning. However, it will take you endless hours of online research and reading. Practicing and more reading will get you there within months or week.s

boback

Post Tue Jun 01, 2004 8:59 pm

midnitejam

Post Mon Jun 14, 2004 9:09 pm

vincentvalle wrote::oops: I need...I want to learn photshop. I am totally new to it. I'd like to inquire about methods of learning the software via visual learning. I can follow a book but video or learning by doing is my best method of learning. Can anyone suggest a cd or video for this?

Thanks,

Vince Valle

Great decision. A photographer cannot be a complete artist without photshop.

gwdupree

learning photoshop

Post Mon Oct 04, 2004 12:17 am

There are many people and places teaching Photoshop. Community colleges, recreation districts, senior centers, private lessons, weekend workshops. Go to a search engine and look up PSA, Photographic Society of America. See if there is a camera club near you. They have programs, workshops, presentations, field trips, competitions. Ours had a digital division which meets separately and we learn Photoshop techniques. People bring lap tops and learn new functions, teach each other, learn from CD's, learn from experts.

I think trying to learn on your own is a waste of time and money on books and CD's. Get some lessons. Subscribe to PC PHOTO magazine. Join Photoshop Professionals of America and get the magazine.

gpaai

Re: learning photoshop

Post Mon Nov 01, 2004 5:51 pm

gwdupree wrote:I think trying to learn on your own is a waste of time and money on books and CD's. Get some lessons. Subscribe to PC PHOTO magazine. Join Photoshop Professionals of America and get the magazine.

I agree seeking professional training is a great idea, but don't underestimate the "self teaching" manuals as well. Besides classes, I have independently learned tons from authors like Al Ward and Scott Kelby. Actually, 80% of the treatments you see on my images were from books I bought at Barnes and Noble.

Gary
I love photoshopography.......

lord_of_the_badgers

Post Mon Nov 01, 2004 5:59 pm

midnitejam wrote:
vincentvalle wrote::oops: I need...I want to learn photshop. I am totally new to it. I'd like to inquire about methods of learning the software via visual learning. I can follow a book but video or learning by doing is my best method of learning. Can anyone suggest a cd or video for this?

Thanks,

Vince Valle

Great decision. A photographer cannot be a complete artist without photshop.

er, correction.. "a DIGITAL photographer cannot...."

i'm sure you'd annoy a lot of people who hang onto old-world darkrooms :)

soulfulimpressions

Post Tue Nov 02, 2004 3:43 am

a few simple things you can do to improve your photos .always work on a backup copy. go into images try auto adjust auto contrast auto color . not happy with that try adjusting brightness to the left a little and contrast to the right a little. photo to dark?play around in images with curves to brighten the image. on your final size lets say 600 x400 pixels go into filters, sharpen , unsharp mask and watch the photo come to life by adjusting sliding overt the top level to the right a little bit at a time. and dont forget to put your name on your image

beagleair

Post Wed Nov 03, 2004 7:24 am

Hi,
There are plenty of FREE tutorials on the web, search for them and thenuse them, nothing beats actually doing the work. ALSO, ALWAYS work on a duplicate, never your original.
Have fun.....
Gerry

matiasasun

Post Wed Nov 03, 2004 4:13 pm

midnitejam wrote:Great decision. A <DIGITAL> photographer cannot be a complete artist without photshop.

I do not agree. In deed the only thing you need is a camera.
Matias, Chile - http://www.pbase.com/matiasasun
Resources, HOWTOs, Samples and more! - http://pbasewiki.srijith.net/

halesr

Post Sun Mar 06, 2005 1:46 pm

I think you might want to determine what approach to using photoshop you want to use. Do you want to use it as a photographer? I think that is quite different from using it as a designer. It is an extremely powerful tool. I personally have approached my learning experience as a photographer first.

Here is one resource I am considering:
http://store.avondalemedia.com/catalog/ ... 118&id=661
Secrets of Photoshop Masters V2

I have taken a workshop from John Paul Capinegro at ME photo workshops. I just finished an online course from http://www.betterphoto.com with Lewis Kemper. BetterPhoto has lots of 4 and 8 week courses ($149 - $339) with weekly assignments and feedback from the instructor. The one I am just completing is called -- Lewis Kemper's Photoshop Toolbox #1 Photo Course. He has a Toolbox #2 and #3. These focus on tools for the photographer to use. George De Wolfe has a pricey 6 month online course ($1,200). He also contributes articles to CameraArts. He had a series of 4 articles focused on the Digital Fine Print. You can purchase a CD of information from George De Wolfe. Google his name for his information.

As others have mentioned there are many free online resources. I joined the http://groups.yahoo.com/group/insidegraphicsopen group and received 40 intermediate lessons and now am on number 49 of the advanced lessons via email. These are quite specific on what and how to use the various Photoshop tools. I think they have a lessons archives so you can go back and get all past resources. They started with PS 7 and have moved onto PS CS v8. They are short and VERY step by step.

HTH--Rene
Last edited by halesr on Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stevesfotos

Post Tue Mar 08, 2005 3:53 am

pear52

Post Thu Mar 10, 2005 4:36 pm

I can agree with many of you on learning Photoshop. I can provide my own slant. I had a bit of trouble grasping layers and the like at first. I checked out a few video tapes our our local library that were hosted by David Cross if I remember right. They were a great help.

After that many books from the library and then a couple for Christmas.

Then found a local class through the school system rec dept that cost all of $32.

In each case, I was able to pick up and learn something. It is almost a never ending task.

Good Luck

Next

Board index Equipment Photo Editing Software Ways to Learn Photoshop