Board index Equipment Photo Editing Software 48 bits per pixel

Photo Editing Software

48 bits per pixel

careysb

48 bits per pixel

Post Sun Jan 04, 2004 3:55 am

Does anyone know to what extent Photoshop supports 48 bits per pixel? I am currently using Paint Shop Pro which has no support for this color depth but I want to work with RAW images which does support this color depth.

ihor

Re: 48 bits per pixel

Post Thu Jan 22, 2004 7:00 pm

careysb wrote:Does anyone know to what extent Photoshop supports 48 bits per pixel? I am currently using Paint Shop Pro which has no support for this color depth but I want to work with RAW images which does support this color depth.

Photoshop supports 15 bits!

Ian
8)

castledude

Post Thu Jan 22, 2004 7:12 pm

Photoshops modes refer to bits per color per pixel (16bpp=48 bit mode,8bpp=24 bit mode).

16bpp will do most things in Photoshop with one big exception, most of the filter menu will not be functional. Photoshop 7 has less support for 16bpp mode than CS. Ulead Photoimpact has 48bit mode also similar to Photoshop however I'm not sure what you have to do to get data in and out of it.

BTW unless you are using one of the medium format backs you are probably only getting 12bpp in raw mode (they just fill the extra bits to make it align).

wsolum

16 bit Mode in PS CS

Post Thu Jan 29, 2004 6:58 pm

Here's a question: Why is it that the color depth controls still go from 0 to 255 in 16 bit mode? It seems they ought to go from 0 to 65534. Any ideas?

Board index Equipment Photo Editing Software 48 bits per pixel