Board index Equipment Photo Editing Software Sharpening

Photo Editing Software

Sharpening

jerome_g

Sharpening

Post Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:10 pm

How much sharpening do you had to your pictures for web display.

New to pbase, tell me what you think:
http://www.pbase.com/jerome_g/new_orleans

dang

Post Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:02 pm

Another Pbase member (Arn) just posted this the other day. Here's the link, think it might answer your questions. :wink:

http://forum.pbase.com/viewtopic.php?t=19162

BTW, Welcome to pbase. Looking forward to seeing a lot more of your work.

jerome_g

Post Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:20 pm

thanks a lot, I was more asking about sharpening for web display, but this is still pretty helpful.

dang

Post Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:46 pm

Sorry,
I thought he covered that also. I can tell you a little of how I've stated doing it after messing with it for 16 months here on pbase.

I do it as the very last step before posting. I make sure I've resized to 800 maximum (in PS quality 7 & above to around 125 kb) so pbase only displays small, medium & original. That way I know it doesn't automatically resize and cut down the quality.

If there's an extra amount of small detail I might do it in stages. I'll begin with 0.3 at 100%.

Next I'll use 0.5 at 100% and look close to see any white edges (hallo), and bring it down untill it's minimized.

Sometimes if there's not that much small detail, you can even go a third time. But it's something that just takes time to get the feel of, since it's more critical for web than for printing. Since prints are larger, they tend to require more and are more forgiving imho.

Here's one of my latest after trial & error for so long:
http://www.pbase.com/dang/image/55351732/original

jerome_g

Post Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:48 pm

Thanks a lot for your insight, and this is a beautiful flower!

dang

Post Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:23 pm

Thanks,
Not sure I've answered it too well, It varies so much depending on the shot. For me, it had to be the hardest thing to get right. And at that I'm still a bit hit & miss depending on how I see that day. :P
There's a lot of sites that go into detail about the process, but when I looked their opinions varied greatly. You can google, and find them by the dozens! Just look around, and in the end you'll find what works for you.

djwixx

Post Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:45 pm

As per Dang, it all depends on the quality of the orginal image. The main advice I can give is to sharpen the original image first, then downsize and reduce the image quality for the web. If you sharpen afterward you have less to work with and get harsh results.

Ultimately it depends on your eye and what looks good to you.

dang

Post Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:31 pm

Everything I've read, and everyone else I've talked to says to sharpen after everything has been done to the photo. Not trying to be arguementive by any means tho'. The reasons are pretty straight forward, if you sharpen then adjust saturation or resize you loose it. The very last step just before upload, should be to sharpen.

And of course many other factors play into it, such as the kb you save it. I'd suggest staying around 125 to 200kb for web, and maximum size of 800 pixels on the longest end. If you upload it larger, pbase will recompress it. Also, Never use "Save for the Web" becuase it reduces the quality below decent standards. Jmho.

If you're getting harse results, you've over done it! Go easy, and try to avoid the edges having a halo look to them. There's links in a Hints gallery I have if you need more specific info.

martyland

Save for Web

Post Sat Jun 17, 2006 9:36 am

Hi Dang, I've never heard that before ... "not to use 'Save for Web' so wonder if I shouln'd change my ways" Hmmm, not that it would matter since I'm still a low intermediate, but thanks for putting my learning cap atop my head.
martyland

djwixx

Post Sun Jun 18, 2006 2:33 pm

djwixx wrote:As per Dang, it all depends on the quality of the orginal image. The main advice I can give is to sharpen the original image first, then downsize and reduce the image quality for the web. If you sharpen afterward you have less to work with and get harsh results.

Ultimately it depends on your eye and what looks good to you.

My suggestion was based on personal experience rather than technical merit. With the software I use the sharpening is set at particular levels (although I've just found the adjuster!!), so I found the default levels harsh on reduced pictures, but gentle on full, then resized pictures.

I'd go with Dang, for technical reasons. Make sure you know how to make the most of the options youo have - which I have only just found!!!!!!

Thanks.

gailb

Post Sun Jun 25, 2006 4:42 am

dang wrote: Also, Never use "Save for the Web" becuase it reduces the quality below decent standards.

In Photoshop, 7 at least, if you Save As instead of Save for the Web, the EXIF data is saved in an image. You have to tick a button to save exif info in other programs. Check the help files.

dang

Post Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:48 am

Gail is right, the exif is lost when you "Save for the web" also. Thanks for the mention, which I should have added. As an addition to this thread, I wanted to mention Noise Reduction too. NR can add depth to photos if it's not over done. I use "Neat Image NR" to clean shots taken at higher ISO's (mainly 400 ISO & above). They've just released a new free version that works inside Photoshop Elements, where before it was only stand-alone. I've just updated it myself and it's a nice improvement.
And, as stated before I still do sharpen as my last step but I will sharpen some while doing NR after I've resized my photo, before levels and color. Just be sure and not over do at this stage since it's not the final look. Here's the link to Neat Image:
http://www.neatimage.com
Just look for the download trial in the links.
Hope it helps, and happy shooting!

Board index Equipment Photo Editing Software Sharpening