Board index Equipment Photo Editing Software Need help selecting picture editing program

Photo Editing Software

Need help selecting picture editing program

linss

Need help selecting picture editing program

Post Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:07 am

I am NEW, NEW, NEW to all of this and could use some help! I don't have a picture editing program and have little experience, but with a new digital camera, I am now in need of one. One thing I really want to be able to do is crop a person from one picture and move them into another, as if they were in the picture when it was taken. I don't know what this is called (could someone tell me professional term for this) but would any of you know if Paint Shop Pro version 8, does this, as someone said they will give this version to me. Otherwise I really need help in what to buy!
Has anyone tried the Paint Shop Pro X? I need something pretty easy to use!
Thanks.

virtual_bird

Re: Need help selecting picture editing program

Post Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:29 am

linss wrote:I am NEW, NEW, NEW to all of this and could use some help! I don't have a picture editing program and have little experience, but with a new digital camera, I am now in need of one. One thing I really want to be able to do is crop a person from one picture and move them into another, as if they were in the picture when it was taken. I don't know what this is called (could someone tell me professional term for this) but would any of you know if Paint Shop Pro version 8, does this, as someone said they will give this version to me. Otherwise I really need help in what to buy!
Has anyone tried the Paint Shop Pro X? I need something pretty easy to use!
Thanks.

None of the upper end/professional programs are "easy" to use - depending on what your trying to do. Most programs people only use about 50% of what they can do, Photoshop for example - Very powerful program.

Paintshop will do it - how easy, again depends on what skills you have. Photoshop will also do it, as will many programs. If Paintshop is being given to you, install it, then try it, what do you have to lose?

dang

Post Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:49 pm

I'd certainly try it, and see since it's free. :wink:
Here's a link for Windows users (just in case) where you can compare prices to Many programs, and download a lot of free ones also. It's nice because it keeps you from having to look all over the net searching, and has many that you've probably never heard of. Here's the link:
http://www.windowsmarketplace.com/resul ... 197&page=1
Hope it helps, and at least it gives something to do on a rainy day if you can't get out to shoot. :P

halesr

Post Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:32 pm

Many programs offer a 30 day Free Trial. Use dang's link and then try some out.

If you are thinking Photoshop, but don't want to spend a bundle, try Elements and then upgrade when you have pushed it to the limits.

Rene

thresholdprod

Post Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:08 pm

I've used both IrfanView and Gimp and had good results. I currently use photoshop (8) CS and PhotoStudio 5.5 (which came with my camera). Each program has its strength and weaknesses. Most have a steep learning curve. There are bunchs of image freeware out there. Just make sure it isn't bundled with spy/scum/ad/mal ware.

The thing that is often missed is buy an older version Photoshop 4 or 5 should do everyhting you want/need for a while then you can upgrade later for the cheaper price.
Bill Freeman
"A picture may be worth a thousand words, but usually consumes the bandwidth of more than two thousand." --Gym Quirk
Many great words of wisdom and advice http://www.pbase.com/help http://pbasewiki.srijith.net/

djwixx

Post Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:48 pm

Depending on what you expect to do I find ThumbsPlus excellent for organising and doing general enhancements. It's also extremely intuitive - in my opinion. Once you feel happier with things move to Photoshop Elements. Personally, if you start with Elements I think you may get very frustrated.

GIMP is extremely capable, but takes getting used to, a free comprehensive online book can be found at http://gimp-savvy.com/BOOK/

dalejohn49

Post Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:53 pm

I'm suprised a program didn't come with your new camera.

If one did, I'd use it for a while to figure out what it does and what you like and don't like about it. Most programs seem to operate similarly...as others have said...the programs that have more functions, are also more complicated to use.

Start simple before you invest in an expensive program. In my opinion the things you learn on the simple (hopefully free) program will help you use the more complicated ones.

scooterbum

Post Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:50 pm

I installed Paint Shop Pro X2 this week, was an upgrade from version 7.
Final cost for the upgrade was 29.00
check out the Corel web site - if you decide to order Paint Shop Pro you can use coupon code UG40OFFSEP for a 40% discount.

this program will allow you to edit - move stuff from one image to another.

Board index Equipment Photo Editing Software Need help selecting picture editing program