Board index Equipment Photo Editing Software SAVING 16 BIT IMAGE FILES IN PS CS

Photo Editing Software

SAVING 16 BIT IMAGE FILES IN PS CS

steveengland

SAVING 16 BIT IMAGE FILES IN PS CS

Post Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:56 pm

Was just wondering after working on an 16 bit Raw image in CS what type of file do you generally save it as?
Also what type of file would you save it as if you wanted to upload an image to a pbase gallery..would you have to lose the 16 bit side of things to make it small enough to upload?..

Kind regards
Steve

vanderstouw

Post Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:32 pm

in photoshop cs... your menu will compress to allow you to save only capable files... personally, i save files as 16-bit tiffs...

for the web, you want to save files as jpegs usually - and that is an 8-bit only format.

nzmalamute

Post Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:21 am

and what about saving as .png ?

vanderstouw

Post Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:41 pm

don't know... i do know that no one uses it. you can always do a save as and try...

one of the things to think about is file longevity... will you be able to open your files over time?... tiff is an established format that has been around for a long time... that makes it appealing. it is almost certainly going to continue to be used in the future.

just look at the list of options in 8-bit mode... a lot of those are legacy type files... no one uses scitex any more...

ernst

Post Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:30 pm

After working in 16bits RAW, I save the files with all its layers as a 16bits TIFF. For the web/pbase I resize this file to approx 800 pixels, flatten all layers, apply sharpening as necessary and convert to sRGB colour mode, save as JPG (jpeg can only handle 8bits). I made an action for this, so I can do this as a batch after finishing my editing.

Important for me is that I keep the 16bits file for future editing and printing. Drawback is that with layers etc. file size can increase to 100 - 150 MB per photo :(

Regards,

kadana

Post Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:46 pm

I agree with saving the files as 16bit TIFF. However I am using Photoshop Elements 4 and there are very few features that work in 16bit. so unfortunately I am stuck working and saving in 8bit TIFF

:evil:

zhifengzhang

How does this process different from the PS web gallary tool

Post Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:18 pm

eml wrote:After working in 16bits RAW, I save the files with all its layers as a 16bits TIFF. For the web/pbase I resize this file to approx 800 pixels, flatten all layers, apply sharpening as necessary and convert to sRGB colour mode, save as JPG (jpeg can only handle 8bits). I made an action for this, so I can do this as a batch after finishing my editing.

Important for me is that I keep the 16bits file for future editing and printing. Drawback is that with layers etc. file size can increase to 100 - 150 MB per photo :(

Regards,

Board index Equipment Photo Editing Software SAVING 16 BIT IMAGE FILES IN PS CS