Board index Equipment Photo Editing Software Opinions on Nikon Capture

Photo Editing Software

Opinions on Nikon Capture

jerseyjim

Opinions on Nikon Capture

Post Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:48 am

I recently purchased a Nikon D50. When I shoot in RAW I make slight adjustments and convert to jpg in Nikon's Picture Project then work in PS Elements 4 to get to the final image.
My 30 day trial of Nikon Capture just ran out and I would like opinions on what people think of this software. Is it worth it? What will I be able to do that I can't do now?
I admit, I did not do much with the trial version, it seemed a little complex compared to Elements.
Anyway, I would value any info Capture users can share with me.

Jim

vanderstouw

Post Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:04 am

the algorythm is pretty good. i don't mind it...

the real problem is the slow nature of the program.

the real positive, is you can upload custom curves to the camera (as the camera tends to shoot a little heavy on it's own)... other raw processors don't recognize those custom curves, so if you want to use them, you will have to use nikon capture. which is what i do..

(i don't know if the d50 can use custom curves (i use a d70)

i really like capture one pro... by phase one, but it is about 500...

jducasse

[i]RE: Opinions on Nikon Capture[/i]

Post Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:27 pm

For many reasons, I prefer using Adobe Photoshop CS to convert NEF to JPEG. Reason #1, I already had Adobe, why buy a new program? Second, I find Adobe CS faster when opening and converting NEF images (you can also do batch conversions) Third, the user interface in Adobe CS is more user friendly and has more tools.

Regards,
JD

Board index Equipment Photo Editing Software Opinions on Nikon Capture