Board index Equipment Photo Editing Software HELP! My PC won't see RAW!

Photo Editing Software

HELP! My PC won't see RAW!

simplephotography

HELP! My PC won't see RAW!

Post Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:15 pm

I have just gotten my Rebel XT, and I shot some RAW files before I got home. I installed the sofware, but my pc keeps asking if I want to use either Word, Photoshop, and some other stuff, instead of the Canon software. Moreover, my PC does not see the RAW files. I then shot one JPEG, and that one I could see. What's wrong?

kadana

Post Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:23 pm

Connect the camera with the USB.

Open up the EOS viewer program. It will see the RAW images.

The default programs that you talk about are only looking for JPEGS.

Next time when you connect the default will also bring up the EOS viewer as an option. Then you can select it without all the extra fuss

geoff

simplephotography

Post Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:49 am

I'm at work now, so I can't check that right now, but I think I did that, and I also think the viewer program showed desktop items first, and the camera was not in the list anywhere. I will make sure tonight though.
So how can I then open the RAW files in Photoshop?

castledude

Post Thu Dec 15, 2005 3:16 pm

simplephotography

Post Thu Dec 15, 2005 3:33 pm

Castledude, if THAT works for me (I'll have to check when I get home), then I think I love you. I'll let you know when I can pick you up for our first date, okay?

lance_h

Post Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:19 am

I use a program called dpMagic. It is a very small program compared to MS's, if all you want is to see thumbnails of your raw files in XP. I tried MS's, and found it wasnt worth the huge download, but it may be for you if you also use it as your default image viewer for raw files.

http://www.dpmagic.com/

prisoner_of_technology

Post Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:56 am

Im using a software from Phase One called Capture One. It works very well for me. Here's a link.

http://www.phaseone.com/Content/Softwar ... tware.aspx
Canon 350D
Canon 18-55
Canon 75-300 4-5.6 III
Canon 50mm 1.4

simplephotography

Post Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:46 pm

okay, tried lance's solution: nothing.

lance_h

Post Sat Dec 17, 2005 12:11 am

Okay, let me back up and clarify a bit. The dpMagic program was for your "my PC does not see the RAW files" comment. I assumed you were referring to Windows displaying of thumbnails as it does for JPEG or other file types. Maybe I misunderstood?
But, in order to see thumbnails of your raw files, you would need a program like dpMagic, or the MS one. It did not work for you?

Now the "my pc keeps asking if I want to use either Word, Photoshop, and some other stuff, instead of the Canon software" is another issue that I wasn't really addressing.

What I suggest you do is right-click on the raw file, select "Open With" and then select the program you want Windows to associate raw files with.
From then on, it will know which program to use.

Hope this helps, and sorry for any confusion or misunderstanding on my part,

simplephotography

Post Sat Dec 17, 2005 6:42 am

No no, you were right! I've tried everything you guys suggested, and nothing works.

To make it absolutely clear: if I could click on a thumbnail of a RAW file, I would, but they aren't there! Or better; they are there, but my PC doesn't see it. My camera is empty for my PC, but it really really isn't! How can I tell my PC there are .crw or .cr2 files in my camera?
I don't even know what extension they really have, because I can't see them!

castledude

Post Sat Dec 17, 2005 3:05 pm

This is from some old notes I had (sorry I have lost the original source) it refers to the original 300D but may apply to the 350 as well:

When you plug your camera into your computer, it should show up in My Computer, possibly with a drive letter next to it; my DRebel shows up under "Scanners and Cameras" as "EOS Kiss REBEL 300D". Right-click on the camera (or associated drive) icon and select Properties.

You should see either and Events tab or an AutoPlay tab at the top of the Properties notebook (depending on how Windows views the device) - in that tab you can change the default behaviour when the camera is plugged in.

With my Rebel plugged in directly, I get an Events tab; on this tab, I get "Device Connected" as the only option under "Select an event".
Under Actions, I have the option to "Start this program" with a dropdown to select all registered apps; "Prompt for which program to run", which will give the original selection window; "Take no action"; and "Save all pictures to this folder", with a Browse button to select a path, and options to "Create a subfolder using today's date" and "Delete pictures from camera after saving them".

---------------------------------------------------

Since Canon's see themself as Scanners and not Disk drives you may need to use the acquire command from the application (rather than file -> open). When I used a rebel I always used an external reader.

--- Another program to try would be Picasa and use it's Import From Camera feature.

lance_h

Post Sat Dec 17, 2005 6:53 pm

okay...hmmm....lol, I thought you had the files on your HD, and Windows just didn't recognize them. You are having an issue with the PC seeing raw files (only raw riles, not jpeg's) while still on your CF Card and in your camera.

I'm not sure what to tell you on that, but I would recommend a 20 dollar USP2 card reader (and upgrade your USP to version 2 if it's not, cost you another 40 bucks) and transfer your files that way. It's easier and faster and by far the favored method among everyone I know. Doesn't solve the problem your having, but might make it irrelevant.

:wink:

simplephotography

Post Sun Dec 18, 2005 7:02 am

Okay Castledude, I will check that out.

Lance, man, I'm not buying anything anymore now. I've spent 1500€ (that's $1800) on a camera, and I already had to beg for that, so no, no option at this point. I'm sure I'll do that later, but not now.

simplephotography

Post Sun Dec 18, 2005 12:14 pm

Yeah well, I bought one anyway. I'm at work now, and one PC would see the RAW files, the other wouldnt. I then first connected the reader, clicked on the virtual drive that was the reader, and it asked me to insert a disk. I inserted the CF card, and hallelujah, there they are! Now I hope this also works at home...

lance_h

Post Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:25 am

ah I know how that goes. When I got mine...lol I was sure glad I didn't have to go buy film and pay for developing, because I was broke. I never would have thought I'd spend that much on a camera...(and had no idea how much more I was going to spend on lenses, software, accessorys... :cry: )

I hope it works out for you at home :wink:

Lance

Next

Board index Equipment Photo Editing Software HELP! My PC won't see RAW!