Photo Editing Software

Photo sizing

henryt

Photo sizing

Post Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:00 pm

I cropped my photos to 8x10. Making picture packages
in PS I noticed the 5x7 arent really 5x7 from an 8x10
photo. Does anyone have the formula of what sizes are
scaleable to other phot size? Is This a confusing question?

road_runner

Post Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:51 pm

Henry,

There is no big mystery about sizing from 8X10 to 5X7 or vice versa.

Instead of cropping you can resize (Provided you do not want to cut out area). However if you want to crop some waste area out, first crop using the crop tool. Then resize.

Cropping - In PS Elements or PS, click on crop tool. On the top tool bar you will notice that you can set the size and DPI (Dots per Inch). Cropping an 8X10 and keeping the finished crop to those specs, enter "8 in" and "10 in" where indicated. Set DPI to 300. Your cursor will look like the crop tool, drag it diagonally to get what you want to keep. Click "OK". You shoul have a cropped image with the 8X10 size.

Check the 8X10 by clicking on Image>Resize>Image Size. You shold get the information dialog box. Size should be 8X10 and 300 DPI. If not, resize it.

You should have a check mark in the little box [] Resample. If not, click on it to check it. For "Constrain Proportions" you may want to check that too. If you check "Constrain Proportions", whenever you change the width, the Height is automaticly changed proportionately and vice versa. Now, If you change the height to 7" from 10" and your width is something other than 5" for a 5X7, UNCHECK CONSTRAIN PROPORTIONS. Now type in 7" for height and 5" for width. This will change the proportion slightly. Also make sure the DPI remains 300.

Finally - click on Bicubic and then "OK"
If you have PS or Elements 3, click on the arrow beside "Bicubic", and select "Bicubic Sharper" since the image is being downsized. Then click "OK".

If you are going from a 5X7 to 8X10, Use "Bicubic Smoother" since you would be going up in size.

That is the nuts and bolts without getting too involved in the DPI discussion.

Hope that helps Henry!
Road_Runner

henryt

Post Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:34 am

Thanks Road Runner however that wasnt what I really meant.
To see my delima, try this..
..Photoshop..
make an 8x10.
go into automate-picture package.
select a package with a 5x7 size in it
after making the package, turn on the ruler (CTRL R)
or use the measuer tool and measure the 5x7 photo.
you see, it really isnt a 5x7 but more like 6.5x5.

Thanks ..

castledude

Post Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:44 am

henryt wrote:Thanks Road Runner however that wasnt what I really meant.
To see my delima, try this..
..Photoshop..
make an 8x10.
go into automate-picture package.
select a package with a 5x7 size in it
after making the package, turn on the ruler (CTRL R)
or use the measuer tool and measure the 5x7 photo.
you see, it really isnt a 5x7 but more like 6.5x5.

Thanks ..

Without cropping or distorting (stretching) then the picture is just scaled.

8x10 scales by a factor of .625

So it becomes 5 x 6.25 and they add a .75" white border.

If you don't like the effect then you can prescale, stretch or clone in extra stuff to make the picture 5x7 before starting the package routine.

-------------------
This is just the nature of the beast. 4x6, 5x7, 8x10 are numbers from film that were just numbers that people found convenient (they are the sizes or ratios of the negatives).

But the relationship between them mean you will never get the same picture in each format unless you allow borders.

A borderless 4x6 has the correct ratio for 35mm and 2x3 film.

road_runner

Post Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:10 pm

Castledude said it very well! Now that I know your real question and that you have received an excellent answer from Castledude, I might sugest another approach that I use on occasion.

First I create a new File using Photoshop Elements (Or you can use any editor tha slows you to copy and paste) in 7" (H) X 10 1/8" (W).
Then I open the photo I want two 5X7s of. I select the entire photo, and copy it to the clip board. THen I open a layer and paste on the left side. Open another layer and paste to the right side. Use the Move Tool to align the two prints with a slight space between them. Flatten the Image, sharpen using Unsharp Mask, then print on 8X10 sheet of your favorite paper. then cut the paper using a paper cutter or a metal ruler with a razor or Peco Knife.

If your picture was a horizontal, rotate it before copying to the clip board or Create a new File that is 10 1/8" (H) X 7" (W). Actually I use this method for my Panoramics when I want two 3.75"X10.5" panoramics on one page (same photo or two different ones). This takes a little more work, but does the job.

Best to ya!
road_runner

henryt

Post Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:30 am

Ok! Thanks to both of you for explaining.
Happy holidays!

bcovish

Post Sun Dec 18, 2005 1:03 pm

road_runner wrote:

Finally - click on Bicubic and then "OK"
If you have PS or Elements 3, click on the arrow beside "Bicubic", and select "Bicubic Sharper" since the image is being downsized. Then click "OK".

If you are going from a 5X7 to 8X10, Use "Bicubic Smoother" since you would be going up in size.

Hope that helps Henry!
Road_Runner

I use Elements 3
This has been a great help to me also.
What is "bicubic" and what does it do?

Thanks

vanderstouw

Post Sun Dec 18, 2005 4:35 pm

bicubic is just an interpolation option available to you in photoshop...

oddly enough... there is a method of rezing your files up really big that has you use bicubic sharper (which flies in the face of reason) that works really well.

Board index Equipment Photo Editing Software Photo sizing