Board index Equipment Photo Editing Software how did they get this effect?

Photo Editing Software

how did they get this effect?

abdulsharif

how did they get this effect?

Post Fri Oct 07, 2005 4:21 am

I like the way these photos look. I don't exactly know how they did it though. The background looks surreal, was it edited in? And how did they get the real smooth tones over the skin? I'm starting to do some album covers and would like to master this technique.

PLEASE visit my webpage:
http://www.pbase.com/abdulsharif

vanderstouw

Post Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:58 pm

i hate to tell you, but the figure isn't naturally lit.

there are at least 2 soft boxes used for the shot.

it is possible that it was shot on location (just drag the shutter for the background. without seeing a bigger file, i wouldn't be able to tell if it was edited per say. i sure there is post production work done to it, but i don't know that he was dropped on... they certainly could have brought lights on location. --although, w/ the amount of focus in the forground (figure) and the background (building) i am leaning towards the figure being dropped in the shot.

as for the look of the figure... if you want that look, invest in some lights.

halesr

Post Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:23 pm

I agree with others that the shooting plays a big part.

But, there was a new effect in the photoshop by Scott Kelby as a down and dirty trick that might fit the bill. So, I used my grandson's picture of two days ago (see http://www.pbase.com/halesr/image/52389953). It's part noise, part sharpening and part extreme contrast and is supposed to create a trendy look. You can be the judge on that one. If you want to see more examples of this effect, go to Jim Fiscus' site at http://www.fiscusphoto.com. I went one step further and used a nik color effect on top of the image. If you want more info on how to do the trick, let me know.

This is not exacely what you are asking for, but it might get youin the ball park.--Rene

vanderstouw

Post Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:36 pm

i hate to say it, but it is not the same at all...

look at the shape of their faces and clothes... there are highlights there brought on by lighting the shot. the background is obviously not lit, but the figure obviously is...

having a trendy special photoshop effect isn't going to get you that look...

the lighting effects filter in photoshop isn't very good - at least if you want real... it's like trying to add a colored-gel look to a shot if you didn't put gels on your lights from the start... it isn't going to look real...

i am not trying to knock scott kelby... he writes great books and does great stuff... but you can't ignore good lighting...

every one of those shots at fiscusphoto.com were lit shots... they may have been post processed, but look at the faces and the subjects... they were definitely lit.

ckimmerle

Post Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:45 pm

There's not doubt that lighting played a huge part in making these images compelling, but that signature "look" is pure post-processing. Actually, that look is quite popular right now (many similar questions around the web) and every photographer has a slightly different method.

One way to get started is to paint in color mode to even out flesh tones, backgrounds, etc. There are a lot more steps, but I'm only privy to a few of them. Darkly held secrets, they are!

Chuck

Board index Equipment Photo Editing Software how did they get this effect?