Board index Equipment Photo Editing Software Batch editing with ImageMagick - some help

Photo Editing Software

Batch editing with ImageMagick - some help

ariadacapo

Batch editing with ImageMagick - some help

Post Sun Sep 11, 2005 3:35 am

Hello,

Since I signed up with Pbase, I found myself spending a lot of time on the Gimp (previously on Photoshop) doing just resizing and lowereing the JPG quality, for hundreds of images. It gets quite tiring.
I've switched to Linux recently and I decided that I would learn how to batch process images. I came across the program ImageMagick -which I've heard works on Windows too.

I have now understood that there is no actual program - it all runs through command lines. Not very ergonomic but definitely easier when you want to handle 50+ images at a time.

There are two things that I wanted to do :
    1. Simply turn all pictures into grayscale
    2. Get them ready for the web, ie : resize them so that the largest dimension is 1600 px, save them at 75% JPG quality.

I have now succeeded in doing the latter - this is done with the command
Code: Select all
convert *.JPG    -resize 1600x1600\>   -quality 75   new.jpg

but that's all I managed to do. Now there are several things that I would like to be able to do. Could anyone give me any help ?
    1.Turn pictures into grayscale... Black and white works fine, but it is solely black and white with no gray levels...
    2.Keep filenames... I haven't found a way to keep them in the output files and that's important to me
    3.Send output to a subfolder. Is this possible at all ?

I hope some people have met these issues before !
Greetings,

Olivier.

abpolyak

Post Sun Sep 11, 2005 5:27 pm

Look for examples at http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/lin ... Linux.html

Off topic but could be interesting
http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/topics/li ... ng_started

and try google

Board index Equipment Photo Editing Software Batch editing with ImageMagick - some help