Board index Equipment Photo Editing Software Hot pixel removal

Photo Editing Software

Hot pixel removal

mickspics

Hot pixel removal

Post Sat Nov 15, 2003 9:19 pm

I'm an astronomy research student and CCDs used in astronomical detectors usually have hundreds of hot pixels in a frame. To get round this we simply take a dark frame (ie an exposure of darkness) which will show up the hot pixels and then this dark frame is simply divided into the proper exposures to cancel out the hot pixels.

Does anyone know if there is a program that can be used to do this for standard JPEG images from a digital camera? I have an annoying hot pixel with my camera and it would be great if I could take a dark frame with the lens cap on and quickly divide this into a large batch of photos rather than fiddling with each one manually in photoshop.

decloedt

Re: Hot pixel removal

Post Sun Nov 16, 2003 6:06 am

mickspics wrote:Does anyone know if there is a program that can be used to do this for standard JPEG images from a digital camera? I have an annoying hot pixel with my camera and it would be great if I could take a dark frame with the lens cap on and quickly divide this into a large batch of photos rather than fiddling with each one manually in photoshop.

Get the program called Black Frame here:

http://www.mediachance.com/digicam/blackframe.htm

It'll take care of that for you.

455rocket

Hot pixels gone!!!!!!!

Post Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:56 pm

I have potentially a great solution to this hot pixel(s) problem which I found today and just ran and it worked great for me (wish I could have come up with something like this!!!). First a little back ground on my problem, I have a CP995 camera and its been great I've taken over 20,000 pictures with it and it has never been serviced once and never given me any real problems. However, over the years I noticed it had accumulated several hot pixels, well there were 3 in particular that were in every shot I took no matter how short the exposure. Two green ones nearer the periphery (not to much of a problem) and one (possibly two together) bright red just off center. I think I may have caused this by shooting sunsets and sunrises with a telephoto adapter and burned them out.
The solution is to use a small program available from the below link, this program can examine the CCD of your camera via the USB link and map out the co-ordinates of your bad/hot pixels. When this process is done you can click re-map and it will then make your camera ignore these pixels and replace their values with an average of the surrounding pixels. The result was fantastic. I shot several pictures of dark surfaces some purposefully out of focus to make hot pixels stand out and they were all gone. I even took a one second exposure photo with the lens cap on and got a pure black image not a single hot pixel showed. I was very pleased.
To get the software to work did take me a few tries I had to get the latest firmware and drivers for my camera and also turn off the "Parse" in the programs options but then it took only a couple of minutes and it was done. No more cloning out those pixels... wow! I didn't think such fixes existed and all for free!!!!!
http://e2500.narod.ru/ccd_defect_e.htm
I believe this software is only for Nikon and some Olympus cameras but there may be similar software out there for other brands.
I'm going to post this in a few places so no potential users will miss out.
One bad point is there are risks to the camera if things go wrong, or your battery runs out mid-process.

bluemars

Post Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:40 pm

I do have a solution for that problem. I am currently testing it. works on batches, visual adding and removing of stuck pixels is possible. Stuck pixels list is created using a gray image from your camera. And it even preserves exif data.

If intereste din it please let me know at romani at hotmail.com. It is free.

yalcin

Board index Equipment Photo Editing Software Hot pixel removal