Board index Equipment Photo Editing Software Photoshop CS - Books

Photo Editing Software

Photoshop CS - Books

tembapix

Photoshop CS - Books

Post Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:38 am

I'm interested in recommendations for Photoshop help books/manuals. Living in Bahrain I haven't the opportunity to actually see and browse any of them, although I can get them through internet shops and mail.

I'm looking for something that clearly sets out the basics, but also gives comprehensive coverage of editing and manipulation techniques.

Ideally there would be specific tutorials or projects to complete.

Which books, if any have you used and how would you rate them?

Thanks for any feedback - it is much appreciated.
Temba

http://www.pbase.com/tembapix

castledude

Post Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:46 am

Scott Kelby has a series of books that I have found to be really friendly.

"The Photoshop CS2 Book for Digital Photographers"

"Photoshop CS2 Down & Dirty Tricks"

both are recommended. A CS version of each is also available. Reviews are available on Amazon.

halesr

Post Sat Aug 13, 2005 10:02 am

I second the Scott Kelby recommendations. I have The Photoshop CS Book for Digital Photographers and I use it quite frequently. I have not upgraded to CS2 so this is not his latest book.

PlanetPhotoshop.com has news, tutorials and reviews.

Http://www.planetphotoshop.com

HTH,
Rene

wildnature

Post Sun Aug 21, 2005 1:36 am

I have read most of the Photoshop books out there and yes, kelby's books are good but if you are looking for an overall excellent book for digital photography look into"

"Real World Digital Photography" by Tim Gray as one of the authors (there are two other co-authors as well)

In my opinion it is the best for basic and intermediate levels.

Good luck.

Cesar Fernandez

tembapix

Post Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:59 am

Well, I took your advice and am now the proud owner of a copy of Scott Kelby's 'Photoshop CS Book for Digital Photographers' which arrived in the mail yesterday. My thanks to halesr and castledude for pointing me in the right direction.

I'm pretty impressed with it overall, it seems to offer mostly what I needed and I like the way it is written and laid out. Personally I could probably have done without the chapter on retouching portraits and the one on body sculpting as I rarely take people shots, but no doubt they'll come in handy sometime.

The only thing that I feel is missing is perhaps more on possible 'projects' such as collages, triptrychs and so on.

Any recommendations on books that might cover that sort of thing?

castledude

Post Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:04 am

Not a book but fun are the sites

http://www.good-tutorials.com
http://share.studio.adobe.com/axBrowseSubmit.asp?c=41

They can give you the effects you need for such things.

For collages read up and learn about layers and blending.

For triptrychs read up on framing, for differences you can use the original picture, other pictures or special effects on the other pictures.

scatts

Post Fri Aug 26, 2005 1:45 am

I also have Scott Kelby "The Photoshop CS2 Book for Digital Photographers" and find it very helpful. However, it only covers certain topics (important ones but not everything) so I wish I also had a book that explains in more detail the workings of CS 1 to help me use the parts of the software not covered by the book.

Board index Equipment Photo Editing Software Photoshop CS - Books