Board index Equipment Photo Editing Software Color Profile issues in Photoshop

Photo Editing Software

Color Profile issues in Photoshop

hikariliang

Color Profile issues in Photoshop

Post Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:34 pm

I am having problems saving pictures from my camera into .jpg's without them turning red.

When opening the camera's raw format, I assign the SRGB color profile and edit the file. Upon saving it and viewing it in my browser, it turns to be a shade redder. Is there some reason why the color profile isn't being read when I am saving? Or is there something else I am completely missing?

Thanks to anyone that can help...

ckimmerle

Post Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:54 am

Which browser are you using? Many browsers, such as Fotostation 4.5, are not color managed, so images often take on a slight color cast or loss of saturation. As long as the image looks accurate in PS, then you're okay.

Chuck

michihir0

Post Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:42 am

try changing your proof setup to read monitor rgb. in photoshop click view->proof setup->monitor rgb. it defaults to working cmky.

ckimmerle

Post Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:04 am

michihir0 wrote:try changing your proof setup to read monitor rgb. in photoshop click view->proof setup->monitor rgb. it defaults to working cmky.

There are a couple of issues with that advice. First, if the browser in question is not color managed, then any changes in profile will be useless anyway. Second, and far more important, is that proof setups are meant to give an approximation of how the image will reproduce on selected output devices and/or medias. Using MonitorRGB will do nothing to assist in getting high-quality hard copy output, and will actually hinder the process.

Without more input from the original poster, I can only assume that the problem lies in the browser, not the original images.

Chuck

road_runner

Post Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:55 pm

I used to have a problem similar to that. Whenever I saved in .JPG, the picture would always have a cyan tint. Any other format prsented no problem. So I loaded to .TIF Format. When I worked on the print in TIFF, then saved in .JPG, there was no problem. At the time I was using Picture Publisher.

Now that I have switched over to Photoshop Elements, I have no problem. I beleieve it might be due to the fact that I save all JPGs at the highest quality setting (12) and the least compresion. Saving a JPG in this manner I notice that I can also open a jpg and resave in jpg (ONCE OR TWICE more) without any significant loss in quality. Quality begins to fall off noticeably at about the third and fourth level. For professional grade prints intended for resale, I prefer TIFF over JPG. However some labs will not accept CDs, and you may have to upload a JPG file.

BTW - Mpix.com is now accepting CDs so you can send high quality files for those professional results in large sizes. Their prices don't look bad either.

road_runner

Board index Equipment Photo Editing Software Color Profile issues in Photoshop