Board index Equipment Photo Editing Software pics reducing in size!

Photo Editing Software

pics reducing in size!

jfernandez

pics reducing in size!

Post Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:10 pm

Hi all,

I am new to photoshop and was wondering if there was a simple way to stop pics drastically reducing in size after I play with the curves etc and crop? For example a 4mb file may drop to 400k after I cropped it. I'm sure there is a simple explanation! :)

Thanks! :oops:

ilanphoto

Post Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:07 am

if you are saving in JPG there is a slider that controls quality and size. It may be set for low quality

It appears when you select save as and then JPG

HTH

ckimmerle

Post Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:46 am

If you crop your photo without setting any parameters, the file size is going to get smaller. Simple as that. The reason is that you are removing information from the image file, and less information (for all practical purposes) means a smaller file size. BTW, you must have really cropped a lot to go from 4mb to 400k.

That being said, you can crop and keep the original size although the image resolution is going to suffer a bit. To do this, select the crop tool and at the top bar select the "front image" tag. This will enter the height, width, and resolution parameters of the original image so that the resulting crop will be the same size. (if you have an older version of PS, you're going to have to do this manually) You have to limit how much you crop in PS, though, or the decreased resolution will be readily apparent. The trick is to crop while taking the photo, NOT in Photoshop.

Chuck

jfernandez

Post Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:53 pm

excellent thanks Chuck, i'll try this.

Board index Equipment Photo Editing Software pics reducing in size!