Board index Equipment Photo Editing Software PS - Straightening horizons

Photo Editing Software

PS - Straightening horizons

tembapix

PS - Straightening horizons

Post Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:13 am

Need some help on rotating to straighten horizons in Photoshop. Talking about only needed to shift a degree or two.

Is there a simple method?

viljamix

Re: PS - Straightening horizons

Post Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:23 am

tembapix wrote:Need some help on rotating to straighten horizons in Photoshop. Talking about only needed to shift a degree or two.

Is there a simple method?

I'm not sure if this tool exist in the earlier version of Photoshop, but in version 7 onwards it can be found.
In the Tools palette click the eyedropper tool, keep your mouse button depressed and pick the measure tool. With that tool draw a line along your horizon, select Image/Rotate Canvas/Arbitrary. Photosop automatically fills the Angle and the direction CW or CCW. Click OK. Work done and your horizon is straight.

Regards Jorma
I really do appreciate if you could leave a comment. Constructive criticism is always welcome.

Cheers, Jorma

You'll never get out of this life alive.

http://pbase.com/viljamix

poundstone

Straighten Horizons

Post Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:38 pm

I use two methods, first method I crop and turn the image, this works if you have a little of the photo to waste. Second go to photoshop cs image and then click on rotate...you can custom rotate to the degrees you want and then do a final crop. seems you loose a little but it is worth it...

jhphoto

Re: PS - Straightening horizons; thanks Jorma

Post Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:19 am

viljamix wrote:I'm not sure if this tool exist in the earlier version of Photoshop, but in version 7 onwards it can be found.
In the Tools palette click the eyedropper tool, keep your mouse button depressed and pick the measure tool. With that tool draw a line along your horizon, select Image/Rotate Canvas/Arbitrary. Photosop automatically fills the Angle and the direction CW or CCW. Click OK. Work done and your horizon is straight.
Regards Jorma

G'day Jorma. Your tip for using the measuring tool to trace the horizon to preset the arbitrary rotate value may be in one of my Photoshop CS boosk that I haven't yet read, but it's a great tip anyway. I've always just guessed, undid, reguessed, etc until I got it right. The measure tool technique is quick and accurate. Thanks for that.
Cheers from down under, John
http://www.pbase.com/jhphoto

viljamix

Re: PS - Straightening horizons; thanks Jorma

Post Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:39 am

john_down_under wrote:G'day Jorma. Your tip for using the measuring tool to trace the horizon to preset the arbitrary rotate value may be in one of my Photoshop CS boosk that I haven't yet read, but it's a great tip anyway. I've always just guessed, undid, reguessed, etc until I got it right. The measure tool technique is quick and accurate. Thanks for that.

You're welcome, John! That's the way I did it, too, before I learned the trick from a magazine called Digital Photo to which I've been a subscriber for some years now.

Jorma
I really do appreciate if you could leave a comment. Constructive criticism is always welcome.

Cheers, Jorma

You'll never get out of this life alive.

http://pbase.com/viljamix

tembapix

Post Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:05 am

Thanks all - I think your tips have helped.

jcboyd

Post Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:02 am

Great tip Viljamix. A couple of suggestions that I think help with this. The first is to hold down the shift key when drawing the line. This will keep the line straight. Without doing this I have a difficult time drawing a straight line.

The second tip is before rotating drag in a guideline from the ruler to sit on top of the line you have drawn. After rotating this guide line will still be visible to help you see if your horizon is straight. This is for very exact placement of the horizon line.
Photography Is More - Than Just Clicking The Shutter!
http://www.pbase.com/jcboyd

Board index Equipment Photo Editing Software PS - Straightening horizons