RAW
62%
JPEG
38%

Total votes : 26

markcas

Your experience using RAW format

Post Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:34 pm

I am considering trying RAW format in my pictures. I would like oppinions on using RAW versus JPEG please.

I am thinking about PhotoElements 3.0. I have already downloaded a trial version of Paint Shop Pro 9.

Is RAW really neccessary? How many of you DSLR people just use JPEG?

Thanks!

ilanphoto

Post Sat Jun 18, 2005 1:45 pm

I first I shot JPG, with the intention of *upgrading* to raw as soon as I understand more.
Now I shoot only raw and would like to *ugarde* to JPG as it will require so much less post processing. But I am not sure of my capabilities and RAW allows more mistakes.
It is like shooting slide (JPG) what you shoot is what you get and negative (RAW) still have some space to fix during the development and print

BTW
*upgrade* in this text means = "I think the other one is better" :)

markcas

Post Mon Jun 20, 2005 4:15 pm

Thank you for responding and you have some GREAT galleries by the way!!! I think I may at one point by something like Photoshop elements 3.0 and try that. Thanks again!

sdwinsor

Post Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:00 pm

I use RAW almost exclusively for every photo I can. I figure having the raw data from the camera gives me everything the camera has to offer. So why dilute that information by filtering it in a manner that I have no control over.

Cheers,
Stephen

road_runner

Post Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:05 pm

I have shot in RAW a couple of times recently, and like the latitude it provides, but with my system, it really was slow and a lot more work. I was working with a Celleron 800 processor - bummer. Well JPG. files loaded 10 times faster and retained enough quality for my application. Things went so slow with RAW that it cost me about $1,200 to overcome. My new system will arrive July 15; can't wait to try it out. I'm going to be running a P4 J550 (3.4 MegHz.) with one gig DDR2 Ram. That ought to put a light under its but! So if you decide to work in RAW, you will need at least a P3 or P4 processor; MD 64 3500 will work too.

As for quality; RAW offers more for the pro doing Magizine and other forms of Publication work, but JPG can also well work for general printing up to 8 X 10. When I work in JPG, I use the highest quality setting with the LEAST COMPRESSION. My JPG file size matches the RAW size - 6 MB. Otherwise save in TIFF, but file size will increase to about 17 MB. JPG will move more quickly and be easier to work on.

Whatever you decide, best of luck in your workout!

halesr

Post Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:22 pm

Both. My camera allows me to to do both at once. I use the jpg to do a review looking at the images as if they are a filmstrip. I then work with the RAW files within photoshop to edit and adjust.

I have read where it is best to to at least some of the adjusments in your raw conversions, but am not really doing that. I think Bruce Frasier is supposed to have good books out on the process. Perhaps even one for CS2. HTH--Rene

Board index Equipment Photo Editing Software Your experience using RAW format