Board index Equipment Photo Editing Software Nikon DX studio vs RawTherapee

Photo Editing Software

Nikon DX studio vs RawTherapee

kasperbergholt

Nikon DX studio vs RawTherapee

Post Sun May 21, 2023 9:00 am

Clever people,

As mentioned in a nother thread (here), I'm working doing a lot of macro work for the time.

I've side-graded from a Pentax K5 to a Nikon D3 recently to keep costs low and be able to invest more in a really good macro lens. So far I've just used the jpeg format, but would like to experiment with RAW files (which I've done in the past).

I'm especially interested in speeding up things with a macro feature (processing a select number of images with the same processing settings).

Is this doable in either Nikon NX Studio or Rawtherapee? Any other points that put either one in favour of the other in daily use?

Thanks in advance,

Kasper

kent_dellaire

Re: Nikon DX studio vs RawTherapee

Post Sun Jun 18, 2023 7:09 pm

I process my DNG files through RawTherapee. I think it does an excellent job when converting to Jpeg files. In fact, I much prefer it over Photoshop. Once you get used to it, the adjustments become easy, and the photos look great. To get the best results, I find that each photo needs its own special treatment. So, I don't do batch processing, although I'm sure that RawTherapee will do it. I've never used DX Studio. So, I can't comment on how that works.

I know I haven't fully answered your post. But I thought a little response was better than none.

kasperbergholt

Re: Nikon DX studio vs RawTherapee

Post Sun Aug 27, 2023 11:09 am

kent_dellaire wrote:I process my DNG files through RawTherapee. I think it does an excellent job when converting to Jpeg files. In fact, I much prefer it over Photoshop. Once you get used to it, the adjustments become easy, and the photos look great. To get the best results, I find that each photo needs its own special treatment. So, I don't do batch processing, although I'm sure that RawTherapee will do it. I've never used DX Studio. So, I can't comment on how that works.

I know I haven't fully answered your post. But I thought a little response was better than none.

Thank you for the feedback & insights. And sorry for the delay in responding - I'm having some problems with receiving notifications on new posts.

I've spent some (a lot) time during my summer vacation testing various programs: RawTheraPee, Capture One, DxO Photolab, Hasselblad Phocus, NX Studio og ON1 Photo RAW. So far DxO Photolab is my favourite - easiest to use. But I'm unsure which outputs the best files for print, which is going to be the topic for a new thread.

Board index Equipment Photo Editing Software Nikon DX studio vs RawTherapee