Board index Equipment Film Cameras Returning to film - is there anybody out there?

Film Cameras

Returning to film - is there anybody out there?

tonymcgartland

Returning to film - is there anybody out there?

Post Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:13 pm

After a few years absencefrom photography I am taking a keen interest in the thought of taking pictures (not IMAGES, I hate that digi-word) again on by beloved Rolleiflex. Thing is, since my absense I wonder is film still readily available, will it be discontinued soon or should I just carry on as it is just a strong as ever. Can anybody let me know 'cos I don't even read the camera mags any longer.

prinothcat

Post Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:52 pm

yes there is still this material called film. comes in color and black and white..... google is your friend.

wolfeye

Film is far from dead

Post Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:17 pm

You may want to visit http://www.apug.org to see a vocal, dedicated group of film users and lovers. There are still plenty of reasons to shoot film, and plenty of film still being made. 120 film hasn't been available outside photo and camera stores for many many years, so you probably won't notice any change. Kodak recently revised their Tmax emulsion, and a little over a year ago Fuji released a superb 400 speed slide film AND recently re-introduced their Velvia slide film.

Film survives, and prospers, when people buy and use it. Right now film is still profitable. It'll stay that way if people like yourself "put their money where their mouth is" and don't merely *say* they want to get back into film.

jypsee

And, I would urge you

Post Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:36 pm

to support Ilford, a company that is trying to keep all the pieces of the film puzzle present and working for we who still like to play with analog. Ilford makes a wide variety of black and white film and also supports the (wet) darkroom.

windhorse

Post Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:19 pm

There are a lot of people still using film out there. Landscapes & Velvia still going strong. A good site for the film user is:

http://choose-film.com/

You could even win a few rolls in the monthly competition.....

Good luck

donrent

Returning to Film

Post Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:31 pm

I too have returned to film... Not that I don't like digital, but the one I want is a few thousand away... :(

Recently got a Canon 620 with a 70/210 and a 35/70 lens... What a great camera.... Amazing the super prices (low) on ebay for these pieces... :D

Now- heres what I've found out about the "OLD" films.... Maybe this might be of help to someone...

http://www.adorama.com/KKKR36U.html
http://www.dwaynesphoto.com/newsite2006/slide-film.html
http://shop.nationalgeographic.com/prod ... 2/121.html
For Velvia landscape film use the Adorama site....

Don

zainabdullah

Re: Returning to film - is there anybody out there?

Post Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:42 pm

I am relatively new in photography having started picking up a camera in 2002. I started with film photography and I love and still shoot on film - either negative or slides.
Since photography is just my pastime I am in no hurry to meet any deadline imposed by clients. I love the brilliant colours produced by slides which I have them scanned at a Fuji Digital Imaging minilab. I might have to jump on the digital bandwagon some day when film is no longer widely available in Malaysia. But for now I am still enjoying shooting on film espcially slides, either Fuji Velvia 50 or 100 or Fuji Provia or Kodak Elitechrome 100 Extra Colour.

Please view my works at my pbase gallery. All the photos were shot 100% on film - negative or mostly slides. I also park many of my photos at acclaimimages.com for sale.

I am glad to find like-minded people who are still shooting on film and who know how to appreciate the special characters of film which cannot be emulated by digital.
zain's photo gallery | http://pbase.com/zainabdullah
zain's photo blog | http://zainabdullah.wordpress.com

prinothcat

Post Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:58 am

For those of you interested in unique film stock you might look at Digital Truth. They have some interesting stuff from Europe and chemistry as well.

nickinnagoya

Post Fri May 09, 2008 1:41 am

I returned to film last year in February after shooting a roll of Acros 100. Haven't looked back since.
In fact I sold most of my digital gear: the money from the sale of my D1x paid for 10 film cameras :mrgreen:
Once I saw some Velvia 100 slides on a light table, I wondered why I even bothered with digital in the first place.

softix

Post Thu May 29, 2008 11:11 am

if we get 100 films , we only can capture 100 pictures only.. but if we've 1gb memory card , we can take pictures over 1000 pictures and we can delete if we dont like it.

wolfeye

Post Thu May 29, 2008 2:19 pm

softix wrote:if we get 100 films , we only can capture 100 pictures only.. but if we've 1gb memory card , we can take pictures over 1000 pictures and we can delete if we dont like it.

So buy 1000 "films". End of problem. And if you have to delete a lot, shouldn't you like, take a photography class or something?

jcothron

Post Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:53 am

This is ironic. I refused to go digital for a LONG time. I shot Velvia (RDPIII) exclusively and recently shot their Provia 400x (great film). I have an EOS 3 and love it, as well as seeing the transparencies on a light table as someone mentioned above.

All that being said, I finally decided to get a DSLR (5D). I've only been using it for a couple of weeks, but at this point I have a difficult time believing that I will eventually return to film. The effect of Velvia is hard to duplicate, but I'm pretty happy with what I've come up with. The film, development costs, and the time involved in scanning the transparencies (provided you want someone to actually look at them) will keep me from it if nothing else.

I do appreciate the traditional route however.

Good luck!!

John

wolfeye

Post Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:33 pm

jcothron wrote:This is ironic. I refused to go digital for a LONG time. I shot Velvia (RDPIII) exclusively and recently shot their Provia 400x (great film). I have an EOS 3 and love it, as well as seeing the transparencies on a light table as someone mentioned above.

All that being said, I finally decided to get a DSLR (5D). I've only been using it for a couple of weeks, but at this point I have a difficult time believing that I will eventually return to film. The effect of Velvia is hard to duplicate, but I'm pretty happy with what I've come up with. The film, development costs, and the time involved in scanning the transparencies (provided you want someone to actually look at them) will keep me from it if nothing else.

I do appreciate the traditional route however.

Good luck!!

John

All things have a cost. I too have a 5D and it produces great images, and there is certainly convenience in it. What I find though, is that when I want something that I feel will last, I pick up a manual-focus SLR like my Canon AE-1 Program. Loaded with Fuji Reala it makes images on par with the 5D and I get negatives that I can lock away safely.

tonymcgartland

Post Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:34 am

Yesterday I received a beautiful 1950s Agfa Isolette 6 x 6cm folding camera which looked almost like new. I also ordered some Ilford b&w film. Since going digital a few years ago I am sorry to say I have taken very few serious photographs. I simply joined the craze of digital snapping and deleting. I 'captured' some great family 'images' that I really should get printed up before the hard-disk and CD back ups fail but I'm now looking forward to getting back into film. I have to blame all the simple things in life such as digital photography for contributing to the stressful life we all now lead - everything must be done in a hurry. I look forward to taking some nice photographs and using the post office again to snail mail my stuff off to Peak Imaging!

captain_superlekker

Post Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:01 pm

Yup, I shoot film, too. Digital is convenient, but film's got soul!

You can pick up a decent film camera for next to nothing now, I had a 1960's Eastern Bloc apparatus called Exa IIa, and have recently acquired the wonderful Nikon classics F2 and F3. Am seriously thinking about medium format, but the cost of processing is somewhat off-putting. Film makes you a calmer, more measured photographer, makes you think about your shots more, and I like that.

If anyone from the UK reads this, any advice on decent processing labs for slide and 35mm much appreciated.

Anja

Next

Board index Equipment Film Cameras Returning to film - is there anybody out there?