Board index Equipment Scanners scanner color balance

Scanners

scanner color balance

bruce_hyman

scanner color balance

Post Tue Dec 07, 2004 2:31 pm

I have scanned a negative into mu Minolta DImage 2, and compared it with a CD provided by Fuji when they processed my negatives. The FUji-made CD correctly renders the golden colorof the Golden Temple in Kyoto, while the (unmanipulated) Dimage scan makes a murky, dull amber. Obviously, there is *some* things i can do to make my scan match the colors in the Fuji scan. but first, how could their automated scan do a beter job than my automated scan? and is there (say, in photoshop) any way to make a systematic adjustment by adding/subtracting something from every pixel in my scan, based on the relative rbg values of the target gold color in the two scans?

ukexpat

Re: scanner color balance

Post Tue Dec 07, 2004 2:51 pm

bruce_hyman wrote:I have scanned a negative into mu Minolta DImage 2, and compared it with a CD provided by Fuji when they processed my negatives. The FUji-made CD correctly renders the golden colorof the Golden Temple in Kyoto, while the (unmanipulated) Dimage scan makes a murky, dull amber. Obviously, there is *some* things i can do to make my scan match the colors in the Fuji scan. but first, how could their automated scan do a beter job than my automated scan? and is there (say, in photoshop) any way to make a systematic adjustment by adding/subtracting something from every pixel in my scan, based on the relative rbg values of the target gold color in the two scans?

Bruce, when you scan in Photoshop do you do any colour adjustments? I find that whenever I scan, just like when I import RAW files into PS, that's just the beginning of the process, they always need some colour adjustment and other processing (USM etc). You can also get software that will enable you to produce a custom profile for your scanner.

Board index Equipment Scanners scanner color balance