Board index Equipment Scanners Nikon coolscan V ed

Scanners

Nikon coolscan V ed

photographer36

Nikon coolscan V ed

Post Thu Aug 12, 2004 1:38 pm

This is a copy of 2 messages sent yesterday to the Nikon tech support center.I first sent a message to Nikon on July 6,but no immediate help has been forthcoming.

There have been a number of crashes that windows tells me is due to a
'driver device' which seems to me to be the coolscan V ed.
One of the major reasons that I bought this scanner was the extensive software available,of which I am not using at all now.It is shocking to
me that Kodachrome is not supported by digital ice!
Today my webmaster and I checked all drivers and settings and we can find nothing amiss.
Of all the issues,the biggest problem is the extraordinary amount of
Grain/noise experienced with the Kodachrome scanning.
I am using a 3.2 ghz pc with 2ghz of RAM,using photoshop CS.
Sometimes,with an extraordinary amount of persistence we can get an image to be beautiful in Nikon 4 scan,and it looks absolutely flat and
dull in Photoshop.
Your help is necessary and appreciated.
p.s. testing ROC/GEM on an image resulted in quite vivid ugly green colors.

Customer (David Schoen) 08/11/2004 04:56 PM
Images need to be brightened 100%At factory settings the Kodachrome slides appear very dark, green and grainy (noise). We must set the scanner at 100% brightness and then brighten once again in Photoshop CS at an average setting of +20 brightness to obtain a bright image. A dozen times a day or more, when we close the scanner, Photoshop also shuts down at the same time, so we must start the scan over again from the beginning. Since we have a library of 22,000+ Kodachrome slides to scan, and we also have a need to be able to print poster sized prints in the near future, this is not acceptable. The image included is untouched and set to factory specs. The crop is 100% so you can the noise at full resolution. We are spending far too much time correcting images that are perfectly exposed and of high professional quality.

Perhaps we are missing something in the settings or aren't using the correct ICC profile... but we're at our wits end.

thank you in advance,
David Schoen

david@davidschoen.com

Any advice is most welcome!

Board index Equipment Scanners Nikon coolscan V ed